RSS feeds for support forums

Actipro Software Web Site Forum

Posted 17 years ago by Jeff Cohen
Hi,

I'd like to suggest that you publish RSS feeds for each support forum. I use the SyntaxEditor control, and although I don't have questions every day, I find it helpful to see what other questions and answers get posted. But manually coming to the support website each day is pretty tedious :-)

If there was a way to generate a simple Atom or RSS 2.0 feed per forum, I could subscribe to the feeds I'm intersted in.

Just a thought...

Thanks!
Jeff

Comments (8)

Posted 17 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Good idea Jeff!

Question... should we instead maybe make a product-wide feed, meaning that the feed would notify you of new maintenance releases along with new support forum posts?

Or should we just have separate feeds for each forum as you said and you can subscribe to the announcements one if you want (or our existing .NET products news feed)?

Actipro Software Support

Interesting... I think if you have a product wide feed, 50% of us will prefer that, and if you separate the feeds, 50% if will prefer that instead :-)

My personal vote would be a product-wide feed just as you describe it.
Or how about this... we keep it forum specific so say you owned SyntaxEditor, you could subscribe to the Announcements one and the SyntaxEditor support one. But then for the SyntaxEditor support one, perhaps we could make it so that the feed title changed so that it always showed the latest release version and date. I wonder if that is possible.

Do you like that possibility best?

Actipro Software Support

That could work, but I think it's unusual for a feed to change its title. And actually it doesn't really add any value for me as a customer of the product anyway.
It would be something like:
Actipro SyntaxEditor Support (Latest: v4.0.0234 on 11/9/2006)

The idea behind it would be that people who only care about SyntaxEditor could just subscribe to that one and see what the latest release is. So if they have an earlier one they could know to upgrade. This mostly would be an in-your-face way to know new maintenance releases are available.

What do you think?

Actipro Software Support

Sure. I think feeds have a description and a title, not sure which one you'd rather use.
Ok, feeds are now up! :)

The title remains the same but we add an item to the feed that indicates the latest version and release date. And it's categorized so you can filter directly to it.

Actipro Software Support

Holy canoli!!

Thanks you SO MUCH.

Jeff

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.