Floating window rendering performance question

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Greg Shaffer
Version: 11.2.0552

We recently upgraded from 11.1.545.0 to 11.2.552.0 and we're noticing a performance hit in our rendering.

We have a graphics intense control we place in a toolwindow.  When it's docked, the rendering is fluid, but when we have our window floating, the performance is choppy.  We did not notice this difference between floating/docked with the 11.1.545.0 version.

I know this is a hard question to answer because I haven't provided a sample application, etc. but, based on your knowledge of how things are implemented on your side, do you have any thoughts about what might cause this difference?

Thanks,

Greg

Comments (6)

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Greg,

The only thing that comes to mind is that we now round the corners of the floating windows, as seen in Visual Studio 2010. You can disable this by including the following in your application resources:

xmlns:docking="http://schemas.actiprosoftware.com/winfx/xaml/docking" 
xmlns:themes="http://schemas.actiprosoftware.com/winfx/xaml/themes"

<Style TargetType="docking:RaftingWindow">
	<Setter Property="AllowsTransparency" Value="False" />
	<Setter Property="themes:ThemeProperties.CornerRadius" Value="0" />
</Style>

Unfortunately, if this does not solve your issue, then we would need a small sample project that we could debug/profile.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Greg Shaffer

The syle idea didn't work.

After tinkering a bit more on this... it's starting to look like it's related to having a nested docksite inside a floating toolwindow.  If I remove the nested docksite, then my rendering is more fluid... more fluid like it was with version 11.1.545.0 (where it was still a nested docksite).  Did anything change with the nesting recently?

We'll try to get a sample app made.

Thanks,

Greg

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Greg,

Nothing has changed that should affect performance, no.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 4 years ago by JP Garza
Hello, 

I am having this same issue. When my outerToolWindow is floating all user controls inside of it look a bit blurry.  Any clues? Any special info I should provide so I can get some help on this?

<docking:DockSite x:Name="outerDockSite">
    <docking:ToolWindowContainer x:Name="outerToolWindowContainer">
       <docking:ToolWindow x:Name="outerToolWindow">
            <!-- USER CONTOLS HERE ARE BLURRY WHEN FLOATING -->

Not floating (not blurry): https://i.imgur.com/ghsJt6Z.png

Thank you,

JP

[Modified 4 years ago]

Posted 4 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi JP,

We're not aware of any blurry rendering of controls like that in any recent builds. The only times we're really seen blurriness in WPF is due to things like having TextOptions.TextFormattingMode="Display" and scaling up text.  Whereas setting the formatting mode to "Ideal" works better with large or scaled up text.

Can you reproduce it in a new simple sample project and send it to our support address, referencing this thread?  Then we can debug that and see what's happening.  Please exclude the bin/obj folders from the ZIP you send so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Posted 4 years ago by JP Garza

I set UsedLayoutRounding=true in one of the parent controls and fixed the issue.

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.