MDI Document Serialization

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Todd Heckel
Version: 11.2.0552

Hello,

I am evaluating Docking/MDI for WPF, and I'm a little confused about the serialization functionality with regards to MDI document size, position, and minimized / maximized state. In both my test app and the Quickstart samples for layout serialization, it does not seem to save the MDI layout information, for example, if I select "Tile horizontally" and then close the sample, when I reopen the MDI windows are cascaded. Looking at the XML data for my test app, there doesn't seem to be any document position information saved, and all of the document size fields are "200, 200" regardless of how I resize and reposition the windows (although if I float an MDI document outside of the workspace area, it does seem to persist the size and position). Is this the expected behavior?

Cheers,

Todd Heckel

Comments (4)

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Todd,

Thank you for evaluating our products. Unfortunately, we don't currently support saving/restoring the position/size information when using the StandardMdiHost. If you are referring to the TabbedMdiHost, then you must set DockSiteLayoutSerializer.SerializationBehavior to DockSiteSerializationBehavior.All.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Todd Heckel

Thanks for the quick response. Is there any reason why this couldn't be implemented using the support for custom document windows and custom data serialization with your Serialization system?

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Todd,

I'm assuming you are referring to StandardMdiHost. You could certainly save/load the documents and their layouts using our serilaization with a custom data object.

The StandardMdiHost has a few attached properties that's you need to save/restore, which include StandardMdiHeight, StandardMdiWidth, StandardMdiLeft, and StandardMdiTop. You would also probably need to set IsAutoCascadeEnabled to false.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Todd,

One more thing, we've marked this down on our TODO list to add it in the future. You will be notified when it is completed.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.