Modal Dialogs don't "flash" when user clicks over floating ToolWindow

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Greg Shaffer
Version: 12.2.0570

Hi,

I have a dialog that is model to "Application.Current.MainWindow".  The main area of my application is basically a DockSite containing ToolWindows.  When I have a Modal Dialog open, clicking on any part of the main window, including anything docked in my docksite, causes the Modal Dialog to "flash", bring the user's attention to the Modal Dialog.

However, if I have floating ToolWindows, clicking on a floating ToolWindow does not yield the same "flash" behavior.

This may not seem like a big deal... but, our system is a 4 monitor command-and-control system.  We try to minimize dialog usage as much as possible, but there are cases where it makes sense.  From an HFE perspective, any visual hints we can provide the user helps.  This "flashing" behavior is one of these visual hints.

Is there a way to make the "flash" happen for a floating toolwindow.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments (2)

Answer - Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Greg,

Unfortunately that sort of thing is a Windows system behavior and isn't really anything we can control.  Our rafting window containers are just regular non-modal WPF windows that are visible.

You can see the same issue as what you describe in Visual Studio if you float a tool window and open the Options dialog then click around.  Clicking on main VS window will flash the Options dialog but clicking a rafted tool window won't.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Greg Shaffer

OK, thanks.  I did the same thing with Visual Studio, LOL.

I guess I'll open a ticket with Microsoft.

Thanks,

Greg

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.