async/await keyword support in 4.0.288.0

SyntaxEditor .NET Languages Add-on for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 11 years ago by David Andrade
Version: 12.1.0303

I've been searching around for a bit, but I haven't gotten a definite answer yet. Does any version of the SyntaxEditor support new .NET 4.5 keywords?

I have the SyntaxEditor version 4.0.288.0 and while using the DotNetProjectResolver I can successfully reference new .NET 4.5 classes and get IntelliPrompt, the editor will complain about new keywords like async and await in C#.

Will upgrading to the new builds solve this? Or is there a workaround in my current version?

I'm not sure why the forum is listing my version as the new 2012 version...

[Modified 11 years ago]

Comments (11)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi David,

Unfortunately the WinForms version of the add-on doesn't support the newer keywords.  Our WPF/Silverlight versions do however.  Our long term goal is to get the newer product design ported back to WinForms so all platforms can be on the newer, better codebase.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by David Andrade

Would there be a way to turn off the error prompts associated with these new keywords then?

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Unfortunately, probably not unless you completely disabled parsing, because they are part of the grammar.  So when they error out, it will affect the rest of the document's ability to parse correctly too.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 8 years ago by Mike Sheen

Are we ever going to get an update to the SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms? It'd be nice to support the syntax for await.

I find it interesting SyntaxEditor for Silverlight got an update this year, but Windows Forms has not had an update for around 2 years - is ActiPro not planning on supporting the Windows Forms edition of the SyntaxEditor any more?

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Mike,

Yes we actually already have the C# parser's updates ready for the next version to support C# 5.0 syntax, which include the async/await support.  We're currently finishing up minor updates to our recent releases of other controls (bug fixes, etc.) and then will getting WinForms wrapped up so we can deploy the new version.

The reason that the Silverlight version still gets frequent updates is that it shares a codebase with the WPF and Universal Windows versions.  So a change made in one is easily copied around to the other platforms.  It's still our hope to look into getting the WinForms version onto that same codebase too so that it can be kept up-to-date with the others.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 8 years ago by Markus Weiss-Ehlers

I just wanted to impress our interest in that update for SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms as well. We are unable to move to any other UI technology soon but we are eager to have at least that C# 5.0 syntax support.

Are you still working on that?

Hi Markus,

The new update is about ready to go.  We did some work in Docking/MDI for a customer and have been waiting for them to verify that it meets their needs before deploying it though.  That has taken longer than expected since they've been busy.  If you'd like a preview build in the meantime, we can make you one.  Just write our support address to request it.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 8 years ago by Markus Weiss-Ehlers

I just wanted to get confirmation that the build 2016.1 build 0330 contains support C# 5.0 support for Syntax Editor for Windows Forms.

Thank you

Actipro Software Support

Posted 8 years ago by Mike Sheen

Thanks for this - It compelled me to purchase a renewal for our SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms licence.

And I'll gladly pay again for C# 6 or 7 support!

Awesome product, BTW - Actipro is certainly a market leader, and it has really boosted the value of our product.  Tech conscious customers of ours love being able to write C# or VB.NET code to customise our product, which couldn't be possible without the Actipro Syntax Editor.

Many thanks :)

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the feedback.  We really appreciate it!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.