Posted 11 years ago by Freddie F

Hi I love the WinRT Code Writer app very much. It is by far the best code editor app for Windows 8.

It will be fantastic if you could add Vim emulation mode. Another Windows 8 app named CodePlus supports Vim emulation, but overall is not as good as Code Writer.

Thank you.

Comments (5)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Freddie,

Thanks for the suggestion.  One question I have for you... right now Esc is used to exit the popups that can show (find/replace, goto, document properties, etc.).  But in VIM emulation mode, Esc is used to enter command mode.  What do you think is a good way to handle things so that both functionalities can be accessed as expected?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Freddie F

Thanks for the response.

I think people who will use the Vim mode will much prefer Vim's built-in find/replace, goto functionalities to the mouse-driven system. So if you disable those popups in Vim emulation mode, I don't think there will be too much complain. Also, it will be nice if you can change key-bindings as you can with the .vimrc file. Personally, I don't use the Esc key to go to normal mode in Vim. I have mapped "jk" to Esc. It's more efficient that way.

Posted 11 years ago by Brett

I'd realy like to see this as well. I also agree the pop ups could go away in favor of built in VIM functionalities.

Posted 10 years ago by Jordan Shurmer

I would really like to see VI emulation mode as well!

On the ESC Problem: Sublime Text does a good job of handling the ESC key. For example, if you have the find box active (i.e. if your cursor's in the find box) then ESC will exit the find box. If your cursors just in the code somewhere then ESC will exit vi's insert mode.

I realise that this application won't be able to do it the same, simply because it is a completely different application and environment. But there are definitely ways to make it work.

I would also be in favor of only using vi functionality over the pop-up find-replace, goto, etc. when vi mode is enabled.

Even something as basic as just the vi movement commands would be a great start in my opinion.

Posted 7 years ago by Brian Finley

+1 for vi or vim mode with no mouse required.  Until then, I'll have to keep using vim natively.

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.