Horizontal scrollbar only considers visible document lines

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 11 years ago by Tobias Lingemann - Software Devolpment Engineer, Vector Informatik GmbH
Version: 12.1.0288

Hi,

I haven't found any option to change the behavior of the scrollbar, but I think it is very strange.
When you vertically scroll a document the width of the horizontal scrollbar changes, depending on the visible lines.
Usally every text editor considers all lines of the document.

Is it possible to change this behavior?

Best regards, Tobias Lingemann.

Comments (4)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Tobias,

Sorry but no, I believe we do that as an optimization since otherwise you need to know the exact pixel length of every line in the document and account for things like collapsed nodes or other things that could affect lengths.  Further, as modifications were made you'd need to recalculate pixel lengths of every affected line, even offscreen ones.  So with large documents, that could affect performance.  And actually Visual Studio does the same thing for the same reasons.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Tobias Lingemann - Software Devolpment Engineer, Vector Informatik GmbH

Hm, you are right. I have never noticed that. But Visual Studio seems to have a more intelligent algorithm. For me the scrollbar almost never gets resized (VS 2010).
It seems that the maximum width of the document is cached. If the user scrolls and the currently visible width is greater than the cached maximum, the scrollbar is resized. If the user collapses a region, the scrollbar only is updated if the maximum is within the collapsed text range.
On the other hand, most edit operations are made within the visible area, so the scrollbar gets updated immediately. If the edit operation was outside of the visible area, the scrollbar gets updated when the changed are becomes visible. Documents that are not visible should never be updated until they become visible again.

I think it is a fair compromise between performance and usability. And if it affects performance, you can always make it an optional setting, which is disabled by default.

Best regards, Tobias Lingemann.

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for the suggestion and ideas.  We will write them down with the feature request.

Actipro Software Support

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Tobias,

Thanks for this suggestion. We're now working on refactoring our view/scrolling internals and have implemented max width tracking improvements for SyntaxEditor vNext per this blog post:

http://blog.actiprosoftware.com/post/2017/11/13/SyntaxEditor-vNext-Is-Progressing

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.