Posted 11 years ago by Ben Stones

Hi,

I'm sure this has been suggested before but because there is currently no reliable and safe FTP client available in the Windows Store yet, I'd like to suggest you consider working on bringing FTP connectivity to your app, so developers can connect to their FTP accounts so they can change files live on a server - much like a standard text editor with built-in FTP support. Either this or where we can download and then upload files via a built-in FTP function.

Would be great to know whether this is under development or not. As a motivator, you would sell a lot of copies of your app in the Windows Store because if you incorporate FTP connectivity into your app, more people will likely purchase your app in comparison to others available in the Windows Store.

Comments (10)

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Ben,

Thanks for writing.  That is something that some other users have suggested as well and we have the suggestion written down on our TODO list.  I can certainly see how that would be useful.

Also note that we don't charge for the app... it's free.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Ben Stones

Hi,

Ah, yes I forgot the app was free - I thought I had paid for it when I had downloaded it from the Windows Store previously.

Thanks for your response regarding my suggestion.

Posted 10 years ago by Sumit

has this been added since? Because that is a key feature i need right now.

Great app so far. Just missing an FTP connection ( remote server edit )

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Sumit,

Sorry but we haven't implemented FTP as of yet.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Lea

I just write html and css but use ftp for transferring to the server. Am using Cyberduck and Note Pad at present but would love a simple code writeer app which highlights syntax and does ftp.

That would be perfect for me on my Surface tablet.

[Modified 10 years ago]

Posted 10 years ago by Shawn Keene

I agree!  On a full PC, I usually use WebStorm or WinSCP to 'live edit" files over FTP/SFTP, but on my Surface RT I have to tediously download the to my desktop, edit it, then re-upload it to the site.

I freaking LOVE this Code Writer app, and I would gladly pay for a Code Writer Pro that can upload to FTP/SFTP sites.

I don't know how hard that actually is to implement. I know tht Windows common shell dialogs (open/save) don't let you directly access FTP/SFTP site.

Posted 10 years ago by Steven McFarlane

I will pay good money for SFTP in this app.  Please consider adding this feature.

Posted 10 years ago by Amged Osman

The only reason I'm not using this so far is because it doesn't support FTP.

But, if you guys are welling to add FTP, please make it so it would recognize the filechanges and upload back to server after saving.

I know for a fact that you are going to have a lot of issues with Windows security.. but who knows, you guys might find a work around that.

Best of luck

AO.

[Modified 10 years ago]

Posted 10 years ago by Shaun Phillips

I have just setup WinSCP and when I edit it will open codewriter, when I save in codewriter the changes are automatically uploaded via WinSCP.

Would prefer to do this with Cyberduck although haven;t worked out how to set Codewriter as the editor as have been unable to link to the executable.

Seems to me instructions on how to integrate Codewriter with the most popular FTP programs would give everyone what they need.

Cheers Shaun

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Shaun,

We haven't used Cyberduck but it sounds like they will open files in whatever the default editor is for a file type.  For FTP clients that do that, you can change file type editor defaults in Windows 8.1 by going to the Settings app, "Search and apps" pane, "Defaults" pane, then clicking "Choose default apps by file type".  When tap on a file type, it should list Code Writer as an editing option.

For FTP clients that require that a specific editor app's .exe path be specified, I'm not sure that there is a valid .exe path that can be specified for Windows Store apps.  Thus FTP clients that requre that to use a custom editor may not work with Code Writer in terms of file editing.

BTW, if there are any open source or free Windows Store app compatible FTP frameworks out there, please let us know about them. 

The best scenario would be if a good Windows 8 FTP client app was made that supported file open/save dialogs in the way that Skydrive and other cloud drive apps do.  Then apps like Code Writer would work by default with those due to the Windows 8 integration.  But right now, the couple FTP apps in the Windows Store aren't very good.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.