Posted 10 years ago by Jacob Bearce

Please add support for multiple instances in Windows 8.1, like IE11. I'd often like to have two windows of code open at once.

Comments (7)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Jacob,

It looks like Microsoft added the ability in Windows 8.1 to open multiple views for an app.  There always is one "primary" view and 0..many secondary views.  How would you envision all this working?

We were originally considering using secondary views for things more like language documentation references or previews.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Harrison Heck

I don't know if this is what Jacob wanted, but it would be nice to be able to have 2 files open at the same time side by side. Basically secondary views could be the editor and the tab selections.

Posted 10 years ago by Jacob Bearce

Sorry, I meant to reply to this a while ago. All I'd want is the ability to have more than one page of code open at once. Sometimes it's nice to be able to view both the HTML and the CSS at the same time, or compare two HTML documents to see where an error is occuring. Simple stuff like that. Basically just being able to have two (or more) code views open at once would be excellent.

Posted 6 years ago by Mike Hentz

How is this still a requested feature? This is a program for writing code, right?

Srsly, 4yrs later this basic capability isn't implemented? The program is called "Code Writer", right?

I would type more, but the keyboard I'm using didn't design it with the "Enter" key so the most basic things take too long to accomplish.

Notepad to the rescue!

[Modified 6 years ago]

Posted 5 years ago by Larry Lapanowski

Would love to have more than 1 file open at a time.  If that means multiple instances like Notepad or on different tabs (like NotepadX) that would be great.  I'm basically using Code Writer as a Notepad replacement.  Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago by Spencer H.

The ability to have two Tabs within the same app Side by Side for easier Referencing / moving between scripts. or at the very lease tabs at the top bar like "Note ++"

think multi windows with in one window!

come on your Windows app has a "© 2012-2017" its time to make a simple update. 

Posted 5 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Thank you for the comments everyone.  Unfortunately adding MDI is not a simple update because a lot of app was built with an SDI editor in mind.  It will take a lot of refactoring to get it to support MDI.

Our top priority at the moment is finishing off the massive updates to our SyntaxEditor control that we've been working on for the past few months.  The SyntaxEditor control is what you type in as you edit documents in Code Writer.  The new version is completely reimplemented internally and should perform MUCH faster than the current one for things like editing, scrolling, etc.  Once the new version is done, we'll roll it into a new Code Writer version for testing.  And after all that it done and out, we can think about other UI features/changes in Code Writer itself.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.