Flickering in TypeMember DropDownList

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Cheshta Mittal - Software Developer, Beehive Systems
Version: 14.1.0320

Hi,

The member dropdown list in Winforms SyntaxEditor flickers everytime I press a key on the keyboard, even if I am writing in the same method. Although I went through the Getting Started part of Winforms Add-on, and followed the steps written there, but the flickering doesn't go. Can you please tell me what could be the problem and how should I resolve it?

Thanks

Cheshta

Comments (3)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Cheshta,

Are you seeing it in our language samples as well, or just in your custom one?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Cheshta Mittal - Software Developer, Beehive Systems

Hi,

In your sample, the flickering is minimal, but if I hold onto a key, say for example, 't', as the characters are typed, the focus in the member dropdown list shifts to another method other than one where the text is being typed. The moment you stop typing the focus comes back on the current selected method.

But in my code, the selected item gets empty in member dropdown list when I type a lot of characters.

Thanks,

Cheshta

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Basically with the type/member drop downs, as the document is parsed and an AST is generated, it will update the drop downs once the editor idles.  The parsing occurs asynchronously.  So if you load a document, it parses, and the drop downs update.  Then if you hold a letter, while you are doing so, parsing and updating of the drop down AST range data keeps being put off until you idle in the editor again.  This keeps performance fast.  But the problem is that while you are moving the caret via the typing, the offset moves, and it uses the older AST offset range data currently in the drop downs to select which type/member it thinks it's in.  That's why you might see it be slightly off in that scenario temporarily until the AST range data gets refreshed again.

If you want to put together a new simple sample project that shows the problem happening, we can take a look and debug it to see if there's anything that can be done to help.  If you send anything, please email it to our support address and reference this thread.  Be sure to rename the .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.