ScreenTipService opens through other windows

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Martin Harder
Version: 14.1.0601

Hello,

I am using Tooltips by applying the ScreenTipService.

These screen tips open up even when my application is covered by another window, like e.g. a web browser. (I move the other window over my application, move the mouse around and get screen tips from my application.)  This doesn't happen always, but often.

It happens also (and absolutely always), when I have two grids in my application that share the same area, where one is visible and the other is collapsed. In this case the screen tips from the collapsed grid appear when the mouse hovers over an area which has no screen tip in the visible grid.

I am always setting ScreenTipHeader and ScreenTipDescription. Maintaining ScreenTipIsEnabled property helps, but is often not possible.

Is this a known issue, or is there maybe a way to avoid this behaviour?

I am using Windows 7. The behaviour is the same with classic and aero desktop themes.

Comments (4)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Martin,

Can you email our support address with a simple sample that shows the issue?  We would like to debug the problem using that and make sure that whatever code changes we make will fix the problem.  In your email, please reference this thread and rename the .zip file extension of what you send so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

I have just sent a simple example. Thanks for your support!

Answer - Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the sample.  We were using VisualTreeHelper.HitTest to locate the element and it turns out that method ignores IsVisible by default, meaning it allows invisible elements to be included in the results.  We updated our call for that with additional code that filters out invisible elements and that fixes the bug.  This update will be in the next version.

Actipro Software Support

Thank you, this is very much appreciated!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.