Use tab to skip over an auto-completed character

Code Writer App Suggestions and Support Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Jordan

Hi, I have been using this app for a little while now, and find that I would like to be able to skip auto-completed characters using Tab, similar to the functionality in Visual Studios. Ideally, I would also like to be able to delete auto-completed characters by deleting the character which prompted the auto-complete.

This would save users from having to arrow or mouse around when making a typo, and would allow them to fluidly continue typing after the point of insertion of auto-inserted characters.

example: Typing "<body>" in an html document currently auto-inserts "</body>". Deleting "<body>" should automatically remove "</body>" as well. Tabbing while the cursor is directly in front of "</body>" should place the cursor directly after "</body>". The same would go for any other auto-completed characters or phrases.

Comments (2)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello Jordan,

Thanks for the feedback.  We do our best to mimic Visual Studio behavior when it comes to editing.  I am trying to see but haven't yet found a case where pressing tab after an auto-completion will move the caret over the auto-completed text.  Could it be some third-party add-in in Visual Studio that you have that is doing that?

We already do have the feature where if you type a delimiter (like '{') that auto-completes an end delimiter and then backspace to delete the start delimiter, the end one will be removed.

That doesn't work for auto-completed HTML tags though and I don't see it working in Visual Studio either.  So again, perhaps you have some add-in that is providing that functionality?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Jordan

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear. The comparison I was making was to Visual Studio's C# editor. Pressing tab skips to directly after the auto-complete character (as you mentioned above). Deleting the opening brace removes the closing brace, if done before manually shifting the cursor out of position.

Most likely, Visual Studio does not have this feature built in for HTML tags, but the functionality would be very useful for improving the efficiency of a code editor.

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.