Custom Language Grammar

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 9 years ago by narshe
Version: 14.2.0611

How directly does a BNF translate into your custom EBNF style grammar? I'm using this BNF http://www.sqlite.org/docsrc/doc/trunk/art/syntax/all-bnf.html

Currently I'm using Irony which is an LALR parser. I need to make drastic changes to the described BNF, due to many shift/reduce and reduce/reduce errors that happen when translating directly.

Will your grammer translate better being a LL(*) parser?

Thanks.

Comments (1)

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Our grammar uses EBNF-like syntax but written using C# or VB code.  As long as your grammar is LL-based, it should translate pretty easily.  We have some very detailed documentation in the LL(*) Parser Framework documentation topics on the syntax and show some complete examples of a grammar implementation through various phases in the Getting Started #4a-d samples.  Please check out all of those resources.  To answer your question, yes, our grammar is LL(*) based, meaning LL with infinite look-ahead that can be achieved via can-match callbacks.,

If you need assistance on techniques to make a LALR grammar more LL compliant, you would want to search the web since that has a lot of resources on that sort of thing.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.