Posted 9 years ago by John
Version: 2.4.15

Just downloaded Code Writer app to Lumia tablet yesterday. Have built, and currently maintain, a very simple, basic, website using Microsoft Expression Web. Am hoping to be able to do minor editing of the site while traveling with just the tablet, not a full laptop. When trying to "Browse" to the website, the three choices offered are OneDrive, This PC, and Network.  Tried the Network option with the address http://www.mywebsite.com (using, of course, the actual website name) and get back message "There's a problem with the network path."  Will Code Writer enable me to do online editing of my website?  If so, how do I get to it?  Thanks!

Comments (4)

In case it's relevant to the answer, the Lumia tablet runs Windows 8.1 RT.

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi John,

The Browse button there browses from accessible file sources to open a document for editing.  It can't open from a URL though as there would be no way to save back the changes.  If you use a utility to mount an FTP site as a local drive, then perhaps you can open the document that way.  Otherwise, you'd need to use an external FTP client to transfer back and forth.

[Modified 9 years ago]

Actipro Software Support

Sorry, showing my ignorance, what is an "external FTP client"?  Is it yet another app I should try to find in the Windows App Store?

Posted 9 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi John,

You would have to consult your web hosting service about how you upload/download files to your site.  Normally there is a FTP server service available on web hosts, and a FTP client is an app that can transfer files to/from a FTP server.  If you search the Windows Store for "ftp", you should be able to see some FTP client apps listed.

You would have to download a copy of your site locally to your machine, use Code Writer to make edits, and then upload back up to the server any changed files.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v4.2.42) was released 3 years ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.