DotNetProjectResolver.AddExternalReference related ??'s

SyntaxEditor .NET Languages Add-on for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 8 years ago by Andy Corkan
Version: 14.1.0323

I am using "Assembly ActiproSoftware.SyntaxEditor.Addons.DotNet.WinForms.dll, v13.1.310.0"

Two Questions regarding DotNetProjectResolver:

1. Does the call AddExternalReferenceForMSCorLib() replace the call AddExternalReference("mscorlib.dll")? When would I use it?

2. What is the difference between AddExternalReferenceForSystemAssembly("System.Linq.dll") and AddExternalReference("System.Linq.dll")? When/why use one or the other.

Many thanks.

Andy

Comments (5)

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Andy,

1) Yes, that loads the current MSCorLib.

2) AddExternalReferenceForSystemAssembly tries to go through some common reference assembly paths to look for the assembly, whereas AddExternalReference won't do that. 

Actipro Software Support

Thank you for the clarification. Two more questions then:

1) So I can use AddExternalReferenceForSystemAssembly for any .NET references that are typicaly found in the VisualStudio Assemblies/Framework selection like "System.Data.OracleClient" or "Microsoft.CSharp"?

2) Can I also use it for references in the VisualStudio Assemblies/Extensions selection like "Microsoft.Office.Tools"?

Regards.

Hi Andy,

Probably not, I would recommend make sure you know the full path to those assemblies and then referencing them directly with AddExternalReference.

Actipro Software Support

I have one issue remaining. The C# editor works and my references are accounted for.

If I know the full path, as I do for my DLL's then I use this:

_dotNetProjectResolver.AddExternalReference(refPath); // supply absolute path

If I don't know the path, since the are .NET assemblies on the machine, then I use this:
Assembly assy = Assembly.LoadFile(refName); // Let GAC resolve the path
_dotNetProjectResolver.AddExternalReference(assy); // load

What is missing is the extended Intellisense ToolTip information that should be imported for my libraries. I have generated the XML file from VS and it resides in the same folder as my DLL's, but I never see more than the basic stuff. The documentation implies it is automatically picked up but it is not working for me.

I know the XML is correct and in the right location because Sandcastle compiles it into a help file with no problems. 

What can I do to debug this?

Thanks again!

Hi Andy,

There was a bug that was introduced in a previous build where documentation comment info from .xml files might not load properly but that should have been fixed in build 323.  Are you running that build?  If not, please upgrade to it and see if it fixes your problem.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.