Animations Don't Work in RibbonWindow

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 7 years ago by Tim Partee
Version: 16.1.0635
Platform: .NET 4.6
Environment: Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a number of elements like loading spinners and progress bars with storyboard animations which run/repeat when loaded which have all stopped working when RibbonWindow was implemented in our applications. It looks like at the very top level, the RibbonWindow control implements Virtualization, which apparently freezes all animations in my window. Is there a way to disable the virtualization or somehow coerce my animations to start working again?

Comments (4)

Following-up: it may not have actually been the ActiPro controls that caused an issue but something seriously hinky is going on. Please feel free to change this from bug to question, but the basic issue is that all of our animations are wrapped in VisualBrush styles so they can be simply dropped into anywhere you can apply a brush like foreground, background and fill attributes. That also makes it super convenient to setup converters to choose the appropriate brush based on a piece of data in a binding. For some reason the Loaded events, which trigger the storyboards to animate, are never getting called anymore. I figured it may be due to virtualization but I made a test project with the same basic RibbonWindow and Docking controls we're using in our main project and copied the ResourceDictionary with our animations and brushes verbatim and they work in the test project. Since they work fine in the test project but not in the larger project - any idea why the Loaded events in our VisualBrush animations may not be firing and kicking off their storyboards in one but not the other?

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Tim,

Sorry but I'm not sure... I wouldn't think that RibbonWindow would be affecting anything in the client area of the window.  I'm not sure what you mean by virtualization.  We apply a custom chrome to the window and handle several related Windows messages, but that's about it.

Actipro Software Support

So create a basic RibbonWindow project with a DockSite and ToolWindowContainer / ToolWindow inside them and then drop in some basic whatever content inside then launch the app and either connect Snoop to it or use the VS2017 Live Visual Tree tool to take a look at the top-level elements under App: you will see that CanVirtualize and IsVirtualizing are both set to true in the properties for those window visuals. I'm not setting those, and even when I explicitly set them to false all the way down to my own content inside a ToolWindow they still get set.

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

I'm sorry but I'm still not sure what you are referring to.  We don't set any CanVirtualize property or anything virtualization related in RibbonWindow.  Which control you are seeing that on?  I'm not finding any property named that when I use Reflector to search the main WPF assemblies either.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.