WinRes.exe and Bar Controls

Bars for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Lisa
Version: 2.0.93
Hello,

We are in the process of localizing our application and would like to use the WinRes.exe tool from Microsoft to allow a 3rd party to do our translation. However, the Actipro bar controls do not render in WinRes. If I load a form that has a bar manager with just a few commands created, I get the following message:

Error - The data name 'fileOpenBarButtonCommand' is invalid. Valid data names must be of the form 'Component.Property'.
Error - The data name 'newMenuNewMenuBarPopupButtonLink' is invalid. Valid data names must be of the form 'Component.Property'.
Error - The data name 'toolsOptionsBarButtonCommand' is invalid. Valid data names must be of the form 'Component.Property'.
Error - The control ActiproSoftware.UIStudio.Bar.BarDockArea has thrown an unhandled exception in the designer and has been disabled.

Exception:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I noticed that the command objects do not have an entry in the .resx file that specifies their type like the other controls do. For example, the BarManager has this entry:

<data name="&gt;&gt;barManager1.Type" xml:space="preserve">
<value>ActiproSoftware.UIStudio.Bar.BarManager, ActiproSoftware.UIStudio.Bar.Net20, Version=2.0.93.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=be939c973e8cb8a6</value>
</data>

which tells WinRes what type of object barManager1 is, but no such entries exist for the commands. Is there a way I can make WinRes work with the Actipro bar controls??

Thanks,
Lisa

Comments (1)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Lisa,

Unfortunately the commands are objects and don't inherit Component or Control, so I don't believe WinRes picks them up. You'd have to do localization by localizing the product resource strings like in this post:
http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Support/Forums/ViewForumTopic.aspx?ForumTopicID=1654

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.