Docking for WPF beta testing notes

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Thank you to everyone who is helping to beta test Docking for WPF. We'll post the betas at the same URL indicated in the email you should have received until otherwise indicated.

Important Note: You must have WPF Studio v3.5.0427 installed before working with this first beta build of Docking. If you are evaluating WPF Studio and need an extension, let us know. You can get the new build from our Download page. For existing WPF Studio customers, just download the latest build 427 maintenance release from your Organization Purchases page.

The first beta does have several major known issues:
  • Tool windows can't yet be placed in MDI area
  • Not real differentiation between "floating" (tool window can't be docked to anything) and "undocked" modes yet
  • Layout serialization not yet started
  • Currently only one theme (how VS 2008 looks in Windows XP blue)... more themes for Vista, Office, etc. will be added later)
  • No documentation
  • Object model needs a lot of further refinements
  • Only one sample
  • Various small bugs
Here's what we are looking for from you:
  • Bugs that you find - Please indicate exactly how to reproduce them (ideally in our sample) and if appropriate, email us a small sample project that shows the issue.
  • Feature suggestions - Post any ideas for features that you have, the more detail the better.
  • Other general questions - With the lack of documentation, it will likely be confusing on how everything works. Our sample does show off most of the functionality but if you have any other questions, just ask them here.
Thanks again for your help in testing. We hope you enjoy using the product and look forward to your comments.

[Modified at 05/16/2008 09:06 AM]

Actipro Software Support

Comments (3)

The ZIP was just updated with a new build adding some minor enhancements.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
Great work on the first beta! This is very promising and right in line with what I have come to expect from Actipro.

I'm attempting to implement Dock in a situation where I need to hide the title bar, and the tool window is only allowed to auto hide and show (i.e. pinned and unpinned state).

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I did not see how to tell a ToolWindow to auto-hide if it is currently pinned, and visa-versa. The ToolWindow.State property is read-only. I want to toggle the state in response to an action on a button I will place within the ToolWindow.
Sorry, we still need to add methods for toggling things like that. Hopefully that can be done this week sometime. That will be part of the object model enhancements.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.