Windows Forms Interop

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Jason
Version: 4.0.0456
Environment: Windows XP (32-bit)
Version: 4.0.456.0

A couple issues regarding Windows Forms interop:

A windows forms control that is placed in a tool window that is auto-hidden has issues when it is restored by clicking on the tab. The control just behaves oddly and is not restored correctly (visually). I'm aware this is related to Windows Forms / WPF interop issues, however other WPF docking libraries do not have this issue.

More serious is that the DockSite.WindowActivated event does not fire when the window is activated (via click). Other tool windows with WPF controls cause this event to fire.

Any workarounds / ideas?

Comments (10)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the note. We are aware of the WinForms interop issues and do plan on working on them. For the first release we didn't get a chance to hash those out. But it is on the TODO list to add support for WinForms interop as much as possible.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Fabien BERNARD
Hi,

Now the version is 4.5.0485 and i have the same issue than Jason. AutoHide containers don't display their content until they are docked.

Any idea, release date that include a solution ?

Thx,

Fabien
Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Fabien,

That is correct, interop inside of auto-hide tool windows is not yet supported. In the meantime I'd disable auto-hide for those tool windows.

Due to the limitations in how Popups work, how the z-order of interop always on top of WPF controls in the same root window, and some other things, this particular issue is a tricky one. There is one thing we have in mind to resolve this however I don't have a release date for you at this time. If it becomes a major problem, you can always contract us to implement it. More details on that here:
http://www.actiprosoftware.com/Purchase/ConsultingServices.aspx

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Aliaksei
Hi,
As I understand the problem with Activated/Deactivated events of windows with winforms controls are currently not resolved. Can you help me to find some workaround for it.

Thank you.
Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Aliaksei,

If you are having a problem with the events, please email us with a simple sample project that shows the issue so that we can take a look and debug it. Thanks.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
For the record, I had some issues with Activate/Deactivate that were resolved by having my Interop control placed inside a WinForms panel. Actipro Support made that suggestion, and it seems to work.

So the control hierarchy is essentially...

WPF -> WindowsFormsHost -> Panel -> OriginalInteropControls
Posted 13 years ago by Bret Naughton
Could you tell me if there is a workaround for this as yet. I am finding the issue as above, that I can display my ActiveX successfully using WindowsFormsHost, but when I auto-hide and bring back, the window contains no content. I am using v10.2.0532.

Regards
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Bret,

This is a known limitation when UseHostedAutoHidePopups is set to false. In that case, the ToolWindows are hosted in a transparent popup to they appear on top of any Interop content in the workspace/MDI area. Unfortunately, Interop content cannot be displayed when hosted in a transparent Popup.

We had an idea on how to reimplement the non-hosted popups so the transparency is not needed. This would allow the Interop content to be displayed in and auto-hide popup.

We are going to bump up the priority on testing out/implementing that idea. We will try to get it into the next maintenance release, but let you know when it is completed.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 13 years ago by Bret Naughton
Many Thanks
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi All,

This issue has been addressed and will be included in the next maintenance release.

If you'd like access to a preview build to help us test prior to the next maintenance release, please email support with your request.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.