Resize order within a group.

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 15 years ago by Leighton Haynes
Version: 4.5.0485
Is there a way for me to specify a re-size order of panels within a group?

For example, could I have 2 stack panels within a group and effectively have 6 states:
    Left panel large, right panel large
    Left panel large, right panel medium
    Left panel medium, right panel medium
    Left panel medium, right panel small
    Left panel small, right panel small
    Collapsed.
It seems to me that this is not possible at the moment, am I missing something?

Comments (3)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Leighton,

Actually that is possible and is a cornerstone of our product. We have the most robust resizing capabilities of any Ribbon product out there. Ours match Office's capabilities exactly.

Check out our main Features demo and on the first two tabs (Home/Insert) you'll see that the resizing matches what Word does. You can easily set this all up using the designer functionality we provide. Look in the "Visual Studio 2008 Designer Support" topic in Ribbon's documentation, and within that topic, at the help for StackPanel and Tab task panes. Those go over the designer functionality.

It all can be set up in XAML too or programmatically. The "Ribbon Resizing" topic goes over the functionality in detail.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Leighton Haynes
Thank you for your response, but I have read the documentation and looked at the samples. To quote the documentation "Therefore, each group can have up to four different variants for how it appears within the ribbon."

The situation I describe requires six variants (LL, LM, MM, MS, SS, Collaped) on a single group, and I can see no way of setting it up as GroupVariants are defined at the group level and there can be only 4. Looking at the examples and the documentation I can't find anything with more than the 4 states.

I'm not sure if we need more states than this, but as I'm evaluating the available Ribbon components I'm trying to find the limits of each one's capabilities. Is my interpretation here correct? If not can you please point me at an example?

Cheers,
Leighton...
Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Leighton,

Oh I'm sorry, I misread your original post. You are correct in your follow-up, within a single group, only four variants are possible. To achieve more variants on a tab (which is what I originally mistakenly thought you meant), you could have multiple groups on the tab, each with different variants. Then you can set the order in which the variants change for each group.

So unfortunately six variants on a single group is not supported. You'd have to either split the panels into two groups with one in each group, or use only four variants if you want only one group.

We haven't seen any UI in Office that required more than four variants for a group, which is the main reason we designed it this way. At the time we designed it, having additional variants seemed to overcomplicate the process too, which is another reason we stuck with four. Large, Medium, Small, and Collapsed are really easy to understand for customers.

Hope that helps. When you compare our resizing capabilities to our competitors, please keep in mind that ours are designed to match Office's capabilities exactly. Whereas most of our competition just has some hacked-in implementations of resizing that don't really work as it should.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.