Can't access to objects inside ToolWindowContainer

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Nils D
Version: 9.2.0515
Hello.

We have a desktop application that is currently using Actipro WPF Studio controls. But I have several issues with objects recognition inside ToolWindowContainer (using VS 2010 Ultimate RC).

For example I can record and execute Coded UI Test when ToolWindow is docked as "nested" (using the central "docking" control). ToolWindows are managed by "bookmarks" at the bottom of container in this case. I can recognize all objects (buttons, textfields, etc.) inside the ToolWindowContainer and execute recorded tests without any fails. SpyUI also works perfect in that case.

But when I use tabbed ToolWindows (using left, right, up or down "docking" control) - I can't access any objects inside the ToolWindowContainer, which contains only the one ToolWindow. Recorded tests are not working and SpyUI also see the only ToolWindowContainer class, not the objects inside.

Is there a way to solve this issue? Not sure that it's bug...

XAML:

<docking:ToolWindowContainer 
                        Name ="shellToolWindowContainer" 
                        IsTabStop="True" IsSynchronizedWithCurrentItem="True" >
                        <docking:ToolWindow
                            Name="shellToolWindowMessages"
                            Title="{Binding Path=[shellToolWindowMessages_Title], Source={x:Static ex:SR.Instance}}"
                            >
                            <UIEvents:UIEventListControl x:Name="uiEventListControl">
                            </UIEvents:UIEventListControl>
                        </docking:ToolWindow>

<docking:ToolWindow Name="ShellNotifHistoryWindowMessages"
                            Title="{Binding Path=[shellNotifHistoryWindowMessages_Title], Source={x:Static ex:SR.Instance}}">
                            <Notifications:NotificationHistoryDialog x:Name="notificationHistoryWindow"/>

<docking:ToolWindow 
                            Name="toolWindowEventHistory" 
                            Title="{Binding Path=[toolWindowEventHistory_Title], Source={x:Static ex:SR.Instance}}"
                            >
                            <Explorer:EventHistory x:Name="eventHistory" />
                    </docking:ToolWindowContainer>
[Modified at 04/07/2010 01:17 PM]

[Modified at 04/07/2010 01:20 PM]

Comments (1)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hello,

That is correct, the ToolWindowContainer mimics the native WPF TabControl and only shows the "selected item". In terms of the visual tree, the controls of the non-selected will not be accessible.

We have a lower priority TODO item to try to keep the visuals of all windows loaded in the visual tree. I've added this forum post to that TODO item, so you will be notified when it gets implemented.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.