Installation issue

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by 7Alpha7
Version: 9.2.0515
Hi,

first sorry for posting here for my fisrt post but I have not found any forum dedicated to this. A moderator might want to move it to the right location or create any forum as needed.

I started to develop a solution with the WPF Studio (and UIStudio) trials before removing them and installing the licenced components. When I wanted to continue developing, everything seeemed to be fine except that I got an error message when I wanted to edit an Entity Framework model. As soon as the EF designer wanted to open, it raised the error messsage : "Unable to load the file or assembly 'C:\Program Files\Actipro Software\WPFStudio\v9.2.0515\Assemblies\ActiproSoftware.Shared.Wpf30.dll". I went to the location and I found on my HD only the empty folder "C:\Program Files\Actipro Software\WPFStudio\v9.2.0515". Anyway I didn't ask the components to be installed on C, neither for the trial nor the licenced releases which are on my drive D. So I went to the right location on D and I copy and pasted the "\WPFStudio\v9.2.0515\Assemblies" folder and subfolders to 'C:\Program Files\Actipro Software\WPFStudio\v9.2.0515'. Then I could be able to edit my EF model.

=> first I don't know why the EF model raises that kind of error since it's located on a project without any references to an Actipro component.
=> second I would like to know what I can do to avoid the trick I did to continue modeling.

Thanks

ps: I develop with VS2008 3.5 SP1 under Vista

[Modified at 04/13/2010 09:06 PM]

Comments (2)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hmm, I'm not quite sure why Entity Framework would care where our assemblies are. You should be able to install to other folders fine. If you open up regedit and go to this key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\AssemblyFolders

You should see another child key for WPF Studio. In that will be a value for a path to the assemblies. What does that indicate as the path?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 14 years ago by 7Alpha7
There's no rational answer why EF designer cares about path files. Fo example if you install a VS solution somewhere in a subfolder deep under a folder which name contains a '&' character, the EF designer will throw an unappropriate exception of the kind I got with your components. So it's almost sure it's an EF issue and not an Actipro's one, knowing that EF is still rather messy even though it does the job if you take time to master it (I'm talking about the 3.5 SP1 since I don't know the 4.0 yet).

In regedit I found the right location for the WPF Studio assemblies, under D and not C as EF designer said. Anyhow, EF designer does look at the C location since it let me work with the assemblies pasted there. This is quite strange, that first it wants the asemblies to be there, and second that it wants those kind of assemblies there.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 1 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.