Memory and Performance issues

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by Ujjwal Lahoti
Version: 10.1.0521
In my project, I have a main window with Docking control. And new windows are launched on top of it, they don't have any docking control.

However the memory consumption of the ActiproDocking.exe, keeps increasing. In the test I was running just now, the memory consumption was almost 700 MB. I wasn't creating new ToolWindows or closing any. It was mostly static layout. And at the same time, it was consuming about 40-50% of the CPU, I don't understand it.

Can you help me understand what determines the memory/CPU consumption by the ActiproDocking.exe.

System configuration:
Visual Studio 2010
Windows XP SP3

Comments (1)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Ujjwal,

I assume you are using Task Manager to track memory usage here, which is never an accurate thing to do due to the way WPF allocates memory. We use Scitech's memory profiler (www.memprofiler.com), and have found it to be one of the best tools available for hunting down memory leaks.

I'd recommend you start with something like that as you can take snapshots of your application and see exactly what .NET objects are allocated and which are taking up the memory. That will help you narrow down if it is even related to our products or not. We're not aware of any memory leaks at this time though, and certainly nothing that would add significant memory like that.

I'm not sure what would cause your CPU to cycle up that much either unless the controls in the docking layout don't perform well with measure/arranges. For performance profiling, we recommend you use something like Jetbrains' dotTrace. That will tell you what part of your product is using the most cycles. Then after that if you think it is due to something in our product, you can put together a simple sample project that shows the issue and email it to our support address so we can look at it.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.