Fixed size ToolWindow

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by John Dunn
Version: 10.1.0523
I found a couple of old topics on this subject but didn't find a definitive answer. Some of my ToolWindows are ToolBars - just a stack of buttons. Resizing the ToolWindow is not useful and in fact makes things look weird.

Here's an example of my UI

In this case resizing the Graphic Tools ToolWindow doesn't make any sense. I do want the user to be able to float the Graphic Tools window and be able to dock and reorder it in the stack of all the other ToolWindows.

Is there any way to accomplish this with the current release?

Comments (5)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi John,

No, this isn't currently supported. We've marked down a TODO item for fixed size ToolWindows.

There are some design/usability issues that would need to be worked out also. For example, how should the ToolWindow look if docked on the side by itself?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 14 years ago by John Dunn
I won't claim this is totally though through but I could see it working like this ( at least for vertical tool stacks ).

If a window has a fixed height it is always drawn at that height. If a window doesn't it grows sharing the extra height with all others. The stack would also have a Background brush that would be used to fill the space if only fixed height windows were used. I'm thinking something like the Adobe Illustrator tool stack although I don't think they have any that will grow to fill the available height.

While I'm inventing features I'd also like a way to collapse a ToolWindow. This wouldn't close it - it would leave the title bar around. That way you could have a stack of a large number of ToolWindows and expand/contract them to manage complexity.
Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi John,

Thanks, we'll keep those ideas in mind when we build this feature.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Vadimir Alexeev

Hi,

Is it supported now in the Version 13.2.592.0?

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Vadimir,

Sorry but fixed sized windows aren't yet supported.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.