The latest build of this product (v5.2.0) was released 23 years ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 20 years ago by Sulphate
Hello, wondering if anyone can help... again, i have spiderwriter on 2 computers, both working fine for months... i recently reformatted the main desktop PC and am since having trouble with Spiderwriter FTP which i love...

Ive tested on my other PC and it connects fine so its not my webhost. I set up the connection as normal, exactly maching the laptop details obvioulsy, but when i connect it takes a very long while, and then displays the box saying im logged in which can be seen at <A HREF="http://users.igl.net/utdpool/ftpSS.jpg." TARGET=_blank>http://users.igl.net/utdpool/ftpSS.jpg.</A> When i click OK on the dlg box, i think before the remote folders were then displayed, now it just stays at a /

However all thats displayed in the remote view once connected is a / as you can see. I cannot move around my web server at all. I have tried uploading a file to this mysterious / and it just doesnt do it, ive tried directing to an exact remote file upon connection and oddly enough it displays a folder with whatever title that i specified in the remote view, but again i can perform no operations.

More often than not connecting or attempting to upload cause the FTP client to freeze and crash, a Ctrl Alt Del shutdown is the only way to end the program.

I guess the most confusing aspect of this is that this is a freshly formatted machine thats been using this FTP for months and before and after several other reformats and that the FTP works perfectly on the laptop ruling out my webhost as a problem... can anyone help?

Thanks, regards,

Mr S Barnes

Comments (6)

Posted 20 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
That sure is strange. The FTP client uses the Microsoft FTP API's that get installed with Internet Explorer. I wonder if they dropped those in a recent IE release.

Actipro Software Support

Ummm i dont know, but i only installed what i always do during a format, Windows XP, ive updated nothing so i dont think the problem lies there.... but as you are, im very confused, makes little sense for a successful connection to be made and then to have problems trying to navigate remotely, let alone displaying what are supposed to be remote folders if i define a remote default.... very odd.
Ok, i dont think this problem is Spiderwriter specific as i tried using a News Updater program which ive also been using pre-format with no problems, and that too refused to update after connection was made.... so although not your responsibility anymore, does anyone have any ideas as to why my Windows XP Home is suddenly not allowing FTP connection of any kind? It connects successfully but then just freezes..... ive searched for hours but cant find a single solution....

I cant help feeling its a simple setting that is disabled or something, any ideas?

Sam
Posted 20 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Try the Internet Options in IE or maybe you have a software firewall that is blocking things.

Actipro Software Support

Yeah i tried all that before, no joy, as ive only just reformatted i dont have a lot of stuff on here so im just go do it again, see you on the flipside, will post if its improved

Sam
Ok, found out the problem was the latest version of Zone Alarm.... the reason it was so hard to pin point was because even when you switched Zone Alarm off the same errors would occur. Only a complete uninstall solved the problem, so i will get onto my webhost now and make them aware of the fact. Even allowing the specific IP range/URLs didnt work so i think thats an issue for my webhost perhaps.

Anyway, thanks for all your help

Sam