HSL Color Editor?

Editors for WPF Forum

Posted 6 years ago by John Dunn

Just wondering if you have thought of implementing an HSL mode for your color editor? It's usually a more intuitive way for users to select colors and most graphic software supports this mode.

Something like this

Comments (10)

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi John,

We do have a similar picker (just the center is square instead of triangle) in Editors that you can see on the screenshot at this page:

https://www.actiprosoftware.com/products/controls/wpf/editors

Actipro Software Support

I should have been more clear. I am aware of the picker - I was asking for being able to pick, either via the color picker or sliders, a color from the HSL color space. HSL is also more clearly represented via a triangle.

Thanks

Hi John,

So you mean that you'd like to swap in HSL edit boxes on the right in place of the RGB ones now?  Or are you looking for them to be in addition to the RGB ones?

Actipro Software Support

Either would work but probably adding HSL controls would be the most useful.

Hi John,

To confirm, you like to be able to input the Hue, Saturation, and Lightness values directly via the keyboard instead of (or addition to) using the RGB text entry.  Do you have any screenshot URLs of other color pickers that have HSL input that you'd like to emulate?

Actipro Software Support

I've been using a graphics program called Affinity Designer ( https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/ ) which has a pretty comprehensive color picker. I've posted some screen shots here - https://imgur.com/a/XiMxM

Hi John,

We love Affinity Designer too and now use it in place of Adobe Illustrator.  

Looking at our ColorPicker control in Editors, the problem is that we already have 5 rows of text entry.  There is a hex color TextBox, and edit boxes for ARGB.  Adding three more edit boxes for HSL would make that stack of input controls too tall.  We could possibly stick another column on the right, or have some toggle control that switches between RGB/HSL.  The other thing is that the radial slider and box slider currently allow you to modify the HSL values, since that's what they are effectively for.  It's just that the picker doesn't show the actual numbers.

Do you need to have text entry of HSL or would just showing the HSL numbers be enough if we added some display of that?  That would allow us to conserve space, keep element count down, and like I said above, you are already modifying the values with the sliders.

Thoughts?

Actipro Software Support

Having a toggle mode selector might be the most straightforward approach. I don't thing people need to modify via RGB and HSL at the same time.

Answer - Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi John,

We've implemented a RGB/HSB toggle for the upcoming maintenance release build 662.

Actipro Software Support

Great. Thanks!

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.