Debug vs release build

Navigation for WPF Forum

Posted 12 years ago by Krijn Michiels
Version: 11.2.0553

Hi

Using .NET reflector I have noticed that all actipro assemblies are build with the '[assembly: Debuggable(DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.DisableOptimizations | DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.Default)] ' attribute.

Why no release build with optimizations ?

Comments (3)

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Krijn,

Actually our Release projects do have "Optimize code" checked.  But regardless, the setting you mentioned only affects debugging performance, not execution performance. You can read more here.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Krijn Michiels

I still have .NET 3.5 assemblies.

I believe that the setting 'DisableOptimizations' meens that "Optimize code" is not checked. Therefore the setting 'IsJITOptimizerDisabled' is true. 

'IsJITOptimizerDisabled' : 'true if the runtime optimizer is disabled; otherwise, false.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.debuggableattribute.isjitoptimizerdisabled(v=vs.90).aspx

A release build assembly (System.dll for example) has following debug attributes (use reflector):

[assembly: Debuggable(DebuggableAttribute.DebuggingModes.IgnoreSymbolStoreSequencePoints)]

(This is not the same as actipro assemblies)

Perhaps this is because I am using an old version 9.1.515 ?

Answer - Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Krijn,

That attribute is certainly not present in the current release versions. We switch from Dotfuscator to Smart Assembly last year and I believe that Dotfuscator may have been adding that option. In any event, the current releases are not affected.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 2 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.