Posted 12 years ago by Oliver Rutsch
Version: 12.1.0562
Platform: .NET 4.0
Environment: Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm using the final version of VS2012. In the designer I've got the exception

"Exception: The component 'ActiproSoftware.Products.Windows.Design.TaskPaneAnchorButton' does not have a resource identified by the URI '/ActiproSoftware.Shared.Wpf.Design.40;component/products.windows.design/taskpaneanchorbutton.xaml'"

if I use some of the Actipro components. I've seen this on the ExplorerBar and on the AeroWizard, but may be this is a more general problem.

Compiling and executing works, only the designer seems to have this problem.

Any ideas? Or am I too early with VS2012?

Thanks and bye, Oliver

Comments (9)

Posted 12 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Oliver,

I am running Windows 8 RTM and VS 2012 RTM and tried loading up the WPF Sample Browser project.  Then I opened the Aero Wizard demo in the designer, selected the AeroWizard control and it showed the task pane anchor button ok for me.  I was able to open the task pane ok and didn't get any exceptions.  So it should be working ok.

Did you use the default options when intalling WPF Studio on your system?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 12 years ago by Oliver Rutsch

Hi,

today I rebooted the system and I did not see this exception again. So it seems not easy to reproduce. For me the designer in VS2012 is more fragile than before as I got sometimes other exceptions without a reason, too. Reloading the designer sometimes help, sometimes not.

I'll give you more input if I find a way to reproduce this. And yes, I installed with the default options.

Bye, Oliver

[Modified 12 years ago]

Posted 11 years ago by Bryan Coon

I just downloaded the trial version of Actipro, and get this exception as well.  I have a simple app that I wanted to try the docking on.  My xaml is very very simple, most of it is copied and pasted directly from the Actipro WPF Studio Documentation:

<Window x:Class="Visualization.UI.ShellWindow"
        xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
        xmlns:docking="clr-namespace:ActiproSoftware.Windows.Controls.Docking;assembly=ActiproSoftware.Docking.Wpf"
        Title="Docking Test"
        Width="1366"
        Height="768">
    <Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot"
          Background="#FFF0F0F0">
        <docking:DockSite>
            <docking:SplitContainer>
                <docking:Workspace>
                    <docking:TabbedMdiHost>
                        <docking:TabbedMdiContainer>
                            <docking:DocumentWindow Title="Document1.txt"
                                                    Description="Text document"
                                                    FileName="Document1.rtf">
                                <TextBox BorderThickness="0"
                                         TextWrapping="Wrap"
                                         Text="This is a document window." />
                            </docking:DocumentWindow>
                        </docking:TabbedMdiContainer>
                    </docking:TabbedMdiHost>
                </docking:Workspace>
                <docking:ToolWindowContainer>
                    <docking:ToolWindow Title="Tool Window 1" />
                    <docking:ToolWindow Title="Tool Window 2" />
                </docking:ToolWindowContainer>
            </docking:SplitContainer>
        </docking:DockSite>
    </Grid>
</Window>

This is using VS2012 Ultimate with ReSharper 7.1 version, the latest bits from Actipro, and .NET 4.5.  Initially, I can see the designer just fine, but then if I click the mouse anywhere in the xaml editor I get the exact error described above.  

The only thing different I did was I did NOT install the assemblies in the GAC.  I will need to set up continuous builds on a machine that wont have access to this stuff so I want to reference the assemblies directly by location.

Anyone have an idea?  Definitely wont buy this product unless I can use the designer with it.

[Modified 11 years ago]

Posted 11 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Bryan,

We ran into the same issue where it would give that cryptic resource not found issue in the VS 2012 designer only if GAC installation was not done.  On a side note, everything works fine in VS 2010.  We reported this issue to Microsoft several weeks back and they confirmed it as a bug introduced in VS 2012 by changes they made in how shadow copies of assemblies are done.  Basically it's trying to load two instances of our design assemblies, one from the original object and one for resources and they are in different locations, thus the exception.

They have told me that the fix should be in the next VS 2012 update or two.  I believe one is scheduled for this month and the next is February.  Hopefully it makes the first one.

But in the meantime, workarounds are to use VS 2010 or install our assemblies to the GAC if you want to use VS 2012.  Sorry you are running into this.  It's a bug by Microsoft that unfortunately breaks functionality that has worked fine for many years, and then makes us look bad.

[Modified 11 years ago]

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Bryan Coon

Thanks so much for the prompt reply!  So that's good news then- I thought about it a bit and I think this GAC thing will be fine.  I'm using TFS Preview (azure) and the build machines they spool up there for continuous builds can't have 3rd party packages on them.  

But it dawned on me after a bit that provided I reference local assemblies the code will build okay, so no problem.  And even better, I just confirmed that referencing the local Actipro assemblies is still okay.  Installing the Actipro assemblies in the GAC eliminates the problem.

Thanks!

Posted 11 years ago by Michael Mason - Lead Software Developer, UI Technologies, WDH

I am still seeing this problem. I am running afreshly installed Visual Studio Professional 2012, Version 11.0.60315.01 Update 2. Has Microsoft said whether this version should contain the fix that they promised?

[Modified 11 years ago]

Hi Michael,

We have Update 2 and tried a couple samples and designer functionality seemed to work without the control assemblies being in the GAC.  I don't have confirmation if Microsoft ever released the fix though.  What specific scenario do you see it not working in and what error do you get?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 11 years ago by Michael Mason - Lead Software Developer, UI Technologies, WDH

After building, my View looks fine in the Designer until I click anywhere in the XAML window. Then the Designer reports that an Exception was thrown, resulting in the following in the Designer view:

Exception: The component 'ActiproSoftware.Products.Windows.Design.TaskPaneAnchorButton' does not have a resource identified by the URI '/ActiproSoftware.Shared.Wpf.Design.40;component/products.windows.design/taskpaneanchorbutton.xaml'.

- StackTrack
 at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Object component, Uri resourceLocator)

InnerException: None

I usually also get a squigly line underneath my ToolWindow declaration, with a tooltip that also says "The component 'ActiproSoftware.Products...." [same message as above]

In the Error List window, I get the same message. Apparently, Microsoft is pretty sure that it can't find the resource 'ActiproSoftware.Shared.Wpf.Design.40;component/products.windows.design/taskpaneanchorbutton.xaml'

I am referencing the signed assemblies from a folder that also contains the Design folder, which in turn contains the ActiproSotware...Design.40.dll files.

Here is my View:

<docking:ToolWindow x:Class="Wdh.PrismApplicationPrototype.Modules.RegionManagerViewer.View"
                    xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
                    xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
                    xmlns:docking="http://schemas.actiprosoftware.com/winfx/xaml/docking"
                    Title="Region Manager Tool"
                    >
    <Grid>
        <Button Content="Hello?"/>
    </Grid>
</docking:ToolWindow>

The View's code-behind file:

using Wdh.PrismApplicationPrototype.SharedInfrastructure.UI;

namespace Wdh.PrismApplicationPrototype.Modules.RegionManagerViewer
{
    /// <summary>
    /// Interaction logic for View.xaml
    /// </summary>
    public partial class View : IView
    {
        public View()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

public IViewModel ViewModel
        {
            get { return DataContext as IViewModel; }
            set { DataContext = value; }
        }
    }
}

And, for good measure, my ViewModel:

using System.Collections.Generic;
using Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Regions;
using Microsoft.Practices.ServiceLocation;
using Wdh.PrismApplicationPrototype.SharedInfrastructure;
using Wdh.PrismApplicationPrototype.SharedInfrastructure.UI;

namespace Wdh.PrismApplicationPrototype.Modules.RegionManagerViewer
{
    class ViewModel : IViewModel
    {
        private readonly IRegionManager regionManager = ServiceLocator.Current.GetInstance<IRegionManager>();

public IEnumerable<IRegion> Regions { get { return regionManager.Regions; } }

public IContext Context { get; set; }

public bool IsNavigationTarget(IContext context)
        {
            return true;
        }
    }
}

Hi Michael,

Could you make a new simple sample project showing the issue (with repro steps described) and e-mail that to our support address so we can test it here to see if we see the same thing?  Please reference this post and rename the .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Maybe, to reduce complexity, see first if you can repro it without the Prism setup.

We had tried a test project here again with Docking controls in it and all the designer functionality came up ok, even after selecting around.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.