DelimiterAutoCompleter working inconsistently with SyntaxEditor in DataGridView

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 10 years ago by Matt Gerrans
Version: 14.2.0610

I have the Syntax Editor in a DataGridView, so on instance is created then activated for whatever row in the DGV is selected.   I'm observing that the delimiter auto completion is working fine sometimes, but not others, as I select different cells that have the editor.   The construction of the editor occurs only once and that is where I set up the DelimiterAutoCompleter, so it seems like it should continue to work the regardless of what row I select.    Here is what my code looks like:

internal class SyntaxEditorInternal : ElementHost
{
    private static DelimiterAutoCompleter _delimiterAutoCompleter = new DelimiterAutoCompleter
   {
        CanCompleteAngleBraces = true,
        CanCompleteCurlyBraces = true,
        CanCompleteDoubleQuotes = true,
        CanCompleteParentheses = true,
        CanCompleteSingleQuotes = false,
        CanCompleteSquareBraces = true
   };

// ...

public SyntaxEditorInternal()
   {
      var syntaxEditor = new SyntaxEditor();
      Child = syntaxEditorWrapper;
      syntaxEditor .Document.Language = new CmdVarSyntaxLanguage();
      syntaxEditor.IsDelimiterAutoCompleteEnabled = true; 
      syntaxEditor .Document.Language.RegisterDelimiterAutoCompleter(_delimiterAutoCompleter);
      // ...
   }

// ...
}

So, whenever the editor is created, the DelimiterAutoCompleter is registered and it is never unregistered.

What's a good way for me to investigate why the auto completion works in some cases and not in others?    It seems like it should just be a matter of whether the service is registered and IsDelimiterAutoCompleteEnabled being true.   Are there any other things that can affect it?

Comments (3)

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Matt,

It's better design to just register a new instance of your DelimiterAutoCompleter in the constructor of your custom language class.  Then all the language initialization code is together.

I would suggest that for the issue itself, you first isolate the scenarios it works and doesn't work in.  I would expect those cases to be able to repro consistently.  It shouldn't matter if a SyntaxEditor is located in one data grid cell or another.

It would help us if you can repro them in one of our add-on language implementations so that we can see the scenario in which its not working properly.  Or if you can't do that, make a new simple sample project of your own with your language and have that sample repro the issue.  Then email our support address with that sample in a renamed .zip file so it doesn't get spam blocked, and be sure to reference this thread.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 10 years ago by Matt Gerrans

Since my language class is in one of auto-generated files of the language designer tool, I was reticent to modify it, since it'll be regenerated every time we have language syntax updates.   I guess the way to do that would be make a derived class from the auto-generated one and make the modifications there, right?

I already have a separate sample app that is not as complex as our real app; I'll see if I can repro/isolate there...

Thanks,

Posted 10 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Yes that is one way to do it (with a derived class).

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.