How to pin tool window to any side of the dock?

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 8 years ago by IneedHelp
Version: 16.1.0632

Is there a way to pin a tool window to any side of the dock site without having to deploy a workspace?
Currently we're able to autohide/pin a tool window to the left/top/right/bottom edge of a dock site only if a workspace exists, otherwise it only work to the right or bottom.

Comments (5)

Answer - Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

When in tool window inner fill mode (no workspace), it will try and determine the side to auto-hide on based on the current hierarchy.  But if you wish to have more control over that, you can handle the DockSite.WindowsAutoHiding event and update e.Side.  The "Auto-Hidden Tool Windows" topic in the documentation talks about that a bit.

Actipro Software Support

My goal is to give the user dynamic control over auto-hide tab placement, unfortunately I see that's not possible without a workspace being involved. And the issue with the workspace is that the space it adds to a docksite can be reduced to a few pixels, but can't be entirely eliminated.

Your docking solution is truly the best there is at the moment and I'm sticking with it, but several minor improvements/fixes to it in regard to toolwindow docking/hiding would make it perfect.

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

Yes the tool window inner-fill mode is tricky because we have to use layout data to guess which side the tool window should auto-hide on.  But per our previous reply, this scenario is part of the reason why we added the DockSite.WindowsAutoHiding event.  It allows you to use your own logic to determine an e.Side as needed.

Actipro Software Support

I understand, but I don't see how I can implement my own logic to discover which edge the user wants to auto-hide the tool window to. Oh well, thank you for the answer.

Posted 8 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

You could possibly provide menu items for the tool window that let them choose a side?  It's up to you to figure out how to let them choose, but at least we provide the way to let you control it once a side is chosen.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.