Changed Floating Behavior by DocumentWindows

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 7 years ago by Alexander Rinne
Version: 16.1.0633

Hello,

In our application it is possible to open multiple documents which are just diffrent views of our data.
I update to the current Version and now i have the problem, that my document windows in the floating state are not always visible.

When i open a document it should always be on top and floating, but with a click to the ribben the floating document goes in the background and is coverd by the main window.

Can you help me to fix this behavior?

Best regards,
Alex

Comments (3)

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Alex,

Yes, when we reimplemented Docking/MDI for the 2016.1 version, we updated it to work just like Visual Studio 2015.  This meant adding support for floating MDI areas that can host multiple documents or even tool windows docked by them.  While floating tool windows will still always appear on top of the main Window, floating MDI areas need to generally be able to go behind the main window, which is the behavior VS has, and makes sense when you have a single screen but want to have multiple maximized floating windows of MDI.  Since otherwise, you could not really access the main window.

We can work to update things to help you though.  Would you like some sort of property added that would help govern whether the floating MDI areas are "owned" by the main window, thus keeping them on top similar to floating tool windows?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 7 years ago by Alexander Rinne

Hello,

i know what kind of bevior you implement and i like it ;), but in your use case it would the "old" way better.

Setting Properties like "Owner" could help me out, thats will work for me.

Best regards,
Alex

Answer - Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Alex,

We already have a property you can set on DockSite:  FloatingWindowShowInTaskBarMode="Never"

We think it makes sense so that if you set that property, it will force the floating window to be owned by the main window.  That way the floating window is still accessible even without a taskbar entry.  This update will be in the upcoming maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.