Looking for WinForms control to display notifications near a button

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 7 years ago by Jian Shi
Version: 16.1.0330

I am using C# WinForms. I am looking for some UI control to display notifications near a button.

Illustration of the popup notification 

The desired behaviors are:

1. Behave similar to balloon ToolTip (System.Windows.Forms.ToolTip): Can display near the control. The difference is that I need to display without hovering my mouse cursor over the control

2. Behave similar to System.Windows.Forms.NotifyIcon: Can display the notification for some time and then hide. The difference is that I want to display in my own application, not at the lower right corner of the desktop.

My google result indicates that balloon ToolTip cannot be modified to pop up without mouse over, neither can I modify the NotifyIcon to show the notification window at a custom location.

Please advise if Actipro has any existing UI components that has this behavior. My other options is to write my own control, which would be a Form shown near my button, but I want to solicit in the forum for existing solutions first.

Comments (2)

Answer - Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

I'm sorry, we don't have any controls like that right now.  But you might want to look on sites like CodeProject since there are several variations of this kind of control there, such as:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/12322/Balloon-ToolTip-Control

Actipro Software Support

Answer - Posted 7 years ago by Jian Shi

Thanks a lot!

I did more research after posting the question yesterday, basically comes down to this custom control:

http://stackoverflow.com/a/30054010/3817523

The existing ToolTip control can almost do the work. I realized that ToolTip.Show() can display the balloon tooltip without requiring mouse over, but the display position doesn't work well for my case (my button is near the bottom of the desktop). The custom control can easily control x/y position with my own logic.

Your link has clearexplanation on the mechanism for this custom control, although I wasn't able to get the example to show the tooltip with Visual Studio 2013.

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.