Dragging floating windows without chrome

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 7 years ago by Ian Newborn
Version: 16.1.0635

I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish something with floating windows.

We have the concept of an inset.  In essance this is a document that needs to be displayed floating but without the window chrome.  Ideally we would hide the window chrome (easy) prevent this window being docked into other containers and other documents from docking into this (slightly more tricky but also done) and then allow users to drag the window around by using the tab.

This last step appears to be impossible.  If I open a window like this and drag the tab it will destroy the parent container and recreate a new one in placeletting you drag that instead.  Unfortunately you then have window chrome again and as it happens the new window is slightly smaller than the old one.

I don't really want to go down the route of customizing the window chrome as last time we did that we were badly burned during an upgrade of Actipro as nothing worked right on the later version.

Is there a way to do what I want?

Comments (3)

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Ian,

What if you set DockSite.UseDragFloatPreviews = true?  That doesn't do a live drag of windows and uses a ghost window instead until you drop something.  That might help avoid this scenario.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 7 years ago by Ian Newborn

Letting go of the tab still causes the parent to be destroyed and recreated slightly smaller than the old one though.  Over time you end up with an ever decreasing sized floating window.

Posted 7 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi ian,

Is the shrinking happening if you don't custom chrome things?  If not, it might be that we are adjusting bounds to try and compensate for chrome border widths, etc.  We could debug it further if you'd like to email our support address with a new small sample project that shows it happening.  Please remove the bin/obj folders of what you send and rename the .zip file extension so it doesn't get spam blocked.  Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 1 month ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.