KeyTipService.IsKeyTipScope

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 6 years ago by Bjørnar Sundsbø - Norway
Version: 17.2.0662

Hello,

I'm having a problem using KeyTipService inside of a DocumentWindow. I don't know if the functionality is implemented in a way to make it possible, but would like some input.

Inside of a DocumentWindow, I would like to have a separate scope. If user press Alt/F10 while it has keyboard focus, I would like to have parts of my UI light up with Key tips in the same way as the ribbon does, but I don't want the ribbon tabs KeyTips to light up. If I go somewhere where I don't have a KeyTipScope, I want the ribbon to present tips. For example, being able to switch between tabs using KeyAccess would be convenient, rather than having to toggle through the Switcher. 

I've tried putting a button with KeyTipText inside of a DocumentWindow, but it does not show up. I've also added KeyTipService.IsKeyTipScope on the usercontrol being presented in the DocumentWindow.

Is it possible to accomplish what I'm trying to do? Perhaps I haven't thought through the scenario well enough when it comes to what I really want to do, but for now I'm just checking on the possibilities.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Comments (4)

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

The KeyTipService is designed to work with the Ribbon and its hierarchy of controls.  Unfortunately I don't believe there's a way for you to use it external of the Ribbon hierarchy.

Actipro Software Support

Oh, That's a bummer. If you can think of something, I'm all ears.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Is this something you might consider implementing, possibly as part of the Shared library? Similar to KeyTipService, but with a twist.

Consider this thread as a visual example. Since I'm working within a document (browser tab), and I'm now entering data into the text box. Also assume that the previous posts in this thread are other scopes that I want to toggle between for quick editing. Pressing Alt would highlight key tips for the previous post (numbered 1-3), and endering 2 would turn the second post into edit mode, and move focus there. Commands would decide what will be done when I enter 2, and possibly an exit command for the scope I'm currently in (Add a comment box).

I would imagine this could be quite benefitial to a lot of registration systems, where one is not necessarily required to enter data in a specific order, and Tabbing through controls would be way too tedious.

As mentioned in the initial post, quick navigation between documents using i.e. Alt + Shift + G would activate my GMail browser tab/document.

Bjørnar Sundsbø

Posted 6 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Thanks for the suggestion.  You could probably achieve something similar right now using WPF Label controls and giving each label a Target as described in this post:

https://wpf.2000things.com/2013/06/10/838-using-a-labels-access-key-to-give-focus-to-another-control/

That would allow you to press Alt+(key) and have it go right to a certain control.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 13 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.