Ribbon screen reader accessibility

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 3 years ago by Conner S
Version: 21.1.0
Hi,

I am trying to make our software more accessible with a screenreader (JAWS) and I have a few questions about the ribbons.

1. How can I change the accessibility name for the Application Button? It is named "File" and I would like the screenreader to read out that name instead of "Application Button Button". Also, when I click File and see the backstage tab, there is an arrow to take you back, but I cannot see where I can add an accessibility name for that arrow for the screen reader. 

2. Along those same lines, how can I change the accessibility name for the Minimize ribbon button? Right now, for the minimize ribbon button, the screen reader just announces "Button".

2. Finally, for every button on the ribbon, the screenreader will announce the name of the button and then "Not Checked". I do not need these buttons to have the checked/not checked functionality, so how do I turn it off so the screen reader will just announce the name of the button? 

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments (1)

Posted 3 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hi Conner,

1) As of v21.1.1 (released today), we have updated the AutomationProperties.Name value for the application button to bind to the text of the button.  The backstage close button is created within a template but we now set its Name value to "Close Backstage".

2) We now set that button's automation Name to "Toggle Minimization".

3) The automation peers for the ribbon buttons will return a IToggleProvider implementation if the button's CommandParameter is an ICheckableCommandParameter, which is set by default.  I believe if you change the CommandParameter to null or something else, then it won't return the IToggleProvider implementation and probably won't announce it that way.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 5 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.