Force an error in the OnSuccess callback

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 7 months ago by Bernd Timmermann - Manager, TSE GmbH
Version: 23.1.3

The point is to mark Break as an error outside of a Breakable statement (repeat, while, for, switch, do).
Of course, you could use child states, but that leads to a lot of duplication of pattern groups, since you have to support most patterns from the default state in the new "BreakableStatements" state as well.
One idea is to have a "BreakableLevel" counter in the custom parse data, and increment it on each Breakable-Statement-Start token (in its OnSuccess-Callback), and decrement it on each Breakable-Statement-End token.
So from the custom parse data in an "OnSuccess" callback  associated with a "Break" production, I can see that the context for that statement is not correct (BreakableLevel = 0). Now I want to create a specific error like "Break not allowed outside a Breakable statement".
Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do this inside an "OnSuccess" callback.
Any idea how to force a successfully parsed statement to log an error?

thxinadv

Comments (1)

Posted 7 months ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

Hello,

The callbacks such as OnSuccess are all passed an IParserState object.  That state object has a ReportError method on it that you can pass a ParseError instance to, which will be a custom parse error.  The ParseError lets you indicate the error level, a string description, and a position (line/col) range.  The state.TokenReader has an OffsetToPosition utility method on it where you can convert integer offsets to TextPosition objects, since the parse error takes a TextPositionRange.

Similar to what you are trying to do, we use that method to report extra parse errors in our own grammars that may have required additional code-behind logic to locate.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 13 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.