Seeking Debugging Solutions for C# Code

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 25 days ago, which was before this thread was created.
Posted 19 days ago by firas jabeur
Version: 24.1.2
Platform: .NET 4.6
Environment: Windows 11 (64-bit)

I have a C# code that requires debugging, and while using the syntax editor's general quickstarts feature for "indicator debugging", I've noticed it only acts as a frontend for endpoints without allowing code modification. However, I'm seeking a robust debugger such as to Visual Studio, where I can inspect variable values during code execution. Is there a specific method or class I can utilize for proper debugging?

While exploring Actipro's documentation, I came across "Actipro Language Designer", which appears to support debugging for custom languages. However, I couldn't find a sample when downloading Actipro Syntax Editor. If such functionality exists, how can I employ it to debug C# code effectively and retrieve variable values and relevant information? 

Comments (1)

Posted 19 days ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA

The SyntaxEditor control does not, itself, provide compiling and debugging capabilities.  The .NET Language Add-on does offer IntelliPrompt features for code completion and syntax error analysis, but not full compiling/debugging capabilities.  As a code editor, it does provide the frontend to display debugging-related visualizations like breakpoints, but the developer is responsible for synchronizing the editor view with any attached debuggers.

The Language Designer you mentioned does have a debugger, but it's a custom debugger built specifically for working with a language parser and not the execution of code written in that language.

So if you want to use SyntaxEditor as a debugging solution, you would use it as the editor for your files, but would need to integrate a third-party debugger or potentially write one yourself.  You would then wire up the user interface capabilities to reflect the state of the debugger.

Actipro Software Support

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.