Displaying special characters in digital gauges

Gauge for WPF Forum

Posted 16 years ago by D
I've been trying to put data into a digital gauge, but I notice that special characters are displaying as the negative (-) sign instead of the designated character. For example, if I have an input value of "wo$r!d", the digital gauge displays it as "wo-r-d". If I input a value of "-20", it displays as "-20", but inputting "+20" shows "-20" as well. I understand that the digital gauge value is of type object and either gets interpretted as a double or a string depending on what value was used. However, it appears that only text letters are fully accepted as the "as-is" string values. Can you tell me what might be happening here?

Edit: I'll add that my character type is set to "Segment7Normal", which I understand is not capable of displaying some characters. However, decimals are represented here, and could any input for at least some special characters be added? Thank you.

[Modified at 11/18/2008 08:45 AM]

[Modified at 11/18/2008 10:30 AM]

Comments (2)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
As you said, only certain characters can be displayed when using 7-segments. We could add special support for + to the 7-segment display modes, but things like $ and ! would not really fit in there. You may want to try one of the newer 5-by-7 matrix options, if you need a larger range of characters.

I've added an item to our TODO list about adding support for +, though.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by D
Thank you. I realized later that the $ might be a bad example, but I could see how characters like brackets and such might be used. Obviously, there are some limitations to what you can do with the 7-segment character set...it just clicked with me later since that's the look I've been going for.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 20 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.