Strange ComboBox drop list behavior

Ribbon for WPF Forum

Posted 14 years ago by wpf.acp
Version: 9.1.0507
Platform: .NET 3.5
Environment: Windows Vista (32-bit)
I have discovered a rather annoying but probably quite a minor bug. I have emailed the sample project to support email.

The context is very specific. Consider a window with a ribbon. A ribbon contains a ComboBox with some items. Nothing fancy here yet and all works nice. Now consider a wizard is launched in a separate modal window as a response to some event. The wizard has just a few pages and one of them has RadioButtonList. After closing the window with the wizard about 2 out of 3 times one tries to show Combo's drop list and merely move a mouse down towards list entries, the Combo decides to simply close (without a mouse click). The item beneath the mouse cursor becomes a new selected item in the Combo. Strange!

I took me a while to strip down my application to bare bones needed to reproduce the issue. I have tried putting RadioButtonList on the main window and the bug did not occur. I tried getting rid of the wizard and just using RadioButtonList in a second window. Even then nothing strange happened.

To successfully reproduce the issue one must have a Combo in a ribbon on a main window and a RadioButtonList in one of the wizard's pages. I could not reproduce it in any other way. Unfortunately for me, the exact context that causes the bug is used in my own app.

I have been fooled before into thinking there was a bug in one of your controls only to be embarrassed by the fact that WPF's own controls displayed the same "buggy" behavior. This time I have compared your Combo to WPF's own and the latter shows no glitch in the same context.

Comments (1)

Posted 14 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Thanks for the sample, it appears some code to handle access keys in the RadioButtonList was updating the ComboBox items in this scenario. We added a check for the next build that ensures the items modified belong to a RadioButtonList. That fixes this.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 10 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.