Moving Window from one DockSite to a non-nested DockSite

Docking/MDI for WPF Forum

Posted 13 years ago by Scott Huiskens
Version: 11.1.0541
I see in two separate forum posts (here and here) that there is currently no support for moving a DockingWindow from one DockSite into another DockSite. I'm curious as to whether this is something you will support in the future.

In the meantime, is there a best-practice or workaround that would allow DocumentWindows to behave like ToolWindows when rafting? In other words, if I tear off ToolWindow1 and float it outside of my main window, and then tear off ToolWindow2, I can dock ToolWindow2 with ToolWindow1 so they are both contained in the same tabbed container. DocumentWindows won't do that, or at least I haven't figured out how to make them do that.

Alternatively, I can't set multiple ToolWindows to dock in the Content area of a DockSite. The first ToolWindow will completely fill the Content area but all subsequent ToolWindows appear Docked to one of the sides.

In short, is there a way to work around the limitation of not being able to drag DocumentWindows between multiple dock sites that would also preserve the UI widgets used in previewing where said window could be docked? In essence, I'm looking to duplicate the functionality of VS2010's code windows. Handling all the programmatic bookkeeping behind the scenes for transferring a window from one DockSite to another isn't that big of a deal, but losing the UI associations when dragging those windows is a huge loss.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Scott,

That is something we have marked down on our TODO list and would like to add to the Docking & MDI feature set. But don't have a timeframe of when it would be completed.

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to allow one or more DocumentWindows to be docked together while floating. We originally built the floating document feature after Visual Studio 2010 RTM, which does not allow this either. Microsoft has since released an extension that does allow documents to be docked together while floating, but we have not implemented this feature yet.

As for your issue with ToolWindows docking into the Content area of the DockSite, do you have a Workspace and TabbedMdiHost in the DockSite? If so, then this should be working. If you can put together a small sample project that reproduces the issue and email it over to our support address, then we can take a closer look.

If you do not want a TabbedMdiHost and instead want the ToolWindows to fill the entire Window, then you can take a look at our ToolWindow Inner Fill QuickStart. That excludes the Workspace element, thus allowing the ToolWindows to stretch to fit.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 13 years ago by Scott Huiskens
I'm glad to hear that it's on the TODO list, I think it'd be a useful feature to add (the sooner the better of course -- as all your customers say about their particular feature requests I'm sure).

Not sure how I missed the Inner Fill Quickstart but I did. Once I took a look at that I saw my problem: I wasn't using the ToolWindowContainer in the DockSite. Once I added that the ToolWindows appeared correctly, filling in the entire available space. Thank you for the pointer.

Also, I really appreciate the promptness in your replies.
Posted 13 years ago by Jb RIGUET
Just a message to say this feature is awaited here too :)
Nice to hear it's on the TODO list !
Posted 13 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi All,

We've added support for linked DockSites, which will be included in the next maintenance release.

If you'd like access to a preview build to help us test prior to the next maintenance release, please email support with your request.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.1) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.