Tooltip control issues

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Adamczak - Developer, AAA Software Enterprises
I have a view that relies heavily on the tooltip control to show more information about the displayed data. When I was using your old framework, the tooltips showed just fine for each control in the form. Since I switched to UIStudio, the tooltips don't show for any of my controls any more. This is on an MDI or tabbed based document form (doesn't work in either mode). Is this a known issue?

Comments (11)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
I'm not aware of any issues. Note that tooltips work fine for the tabs in our sample application. You can hover over a document tab and see a tooltip.

For that tooltip we're just using the regular WinForms ToolTip control and are displaying it.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Adamczak - Developer, AAA Software Enterprises
I have reproduced this on a very small project. I will send you a zip of the project.
Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
I've had similar problems with ToolTips, but I haven't investigated the issue enough yet. Basically, my problem is that ToolTips are appearing behind the application.

The particular control I've seen this on is a .NET TreeView control hosted inside an ActiveX-style dock control that I haven't converted to UIStudio yet. My guess is that this is another ActiveX problem, so I was going to investigate further before bringing it up. I just thought I'd mention it now since Adamczak posted a similar problem.
After some more looking, it seems like tooltips work fine in .NET 1.0 but show behind the window in .NET 1.1. Anyone have any ideas what could cause the difference in the frameworks?

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
No ideas. I remember there being a similar issue with IntelliPromptMemberList tooltips in SyntaxEditor not always appear on top of the control, but that's probably something different since SE uses the MarkupLabel control instead of a typical tooltip.

Just curious... have you tried .NET 2.0 to see what it does?
2.0 shows the tooltips different than the other two frameworks. In 2.0, the sample Adam gave me shows the tooltips on the Button and ListBox fine. For the ListView, it shows the tip above the window but disappears right away. Strange! In 1.0, ListView tooltips display fine for me.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Adamczak - Developer, AAA Software Enterprises
Is there any update on this. This is still causing my software to be significantly less functional.
Posted 18 years ago by Gerard Laslett
I'm looking at various controls to use in an application that we are building.
This would be an issue for our usage as well.
What is the status of this please?
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
I just did more extensive testing of this on the VS 2005 RTM. In the sameple application you sent us, you displayed a document window containing a UserControl. The UserControl had a Button, a ListBox, and a ListView, each with their own ToolTip.

The Button and ListBox display tooltips fine. The ListView displays the tooltip ok over non-column client area but when displaying over columns, it shows and immediately hides.

I don't know what we could be doing to cause that so I created another test where I made a blank Form and put a ListView on it and populated it the same way you did. I applied a tooltip to it. This Form had none of our controls at all on it and exhibited the same behavior.

So the gist of all this is that we are not causing any issues with the tooltips. Any issues with ListView tooltips are bugs in the .NET framework itself because they occur when not even using our controls.

As an additional test, I went back to VS 2002 and ran the same sample. The tooltips display fine over any area of the ListView. This is definitely something Microsoft broke after the 1.0 .NET framework.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Adamczak - Developer, AAA Software Enterprises
If you notice my original post these tooltips worked fine in 1.1 before I moved to the UIStudio framework (I'm not talking about the ListView ones specifically, but the other controls). I was using the previous version of your dock manager software for this. So currently, the answer is that if I move to .Net 2.0, the tooltips on most controls with start working again? That's ok for me, I just haven't had a chance to update to the latest framework and do any testing. Thanks for looking into this some more.
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Could you give me a specific control and scenario to test for you and I'll have a look? Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.