Minor misc keyboard/Mouse menu input issues

Bars for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 16 years ago by Chien A.
Version: 2.0.95
Platform: .NET 2.0
Environment: Windows XP (32-bit)
Some misc mouse/keyboard navigation issues with the bar controls that we have noticed:

1) Once you start navigating a menu with the keyboard (ie arrows), the menu no longer responds to the mouse (you can still expand popup command by mouse, however nothing in the current menu is clickable nor selects on mouseover

2) If navigating a menu by keyboard and the mouse cursor happens to be over a popup command, the mouse will trigger the expansion of the popup command (as with issue 1), what should happeen is that the mouse position is ignored until the user moves the mouse - this is base MS behaviour)

3) 2 commands appear to be selected when navigating a menu by mouse and then starting to navigate by keyboard (in test app | bar controls, highlight 'file|print' with mouse then press down - 2 commands are highlighted)

4) In test app, press Alt-F to open file menu in 'test app | bar controls' by keyboard, then mouse over another sub menu (say, tools) - the tools popup command will expand but not be selected, and if you then press left or right, navigation starts from the file command, not the tools command - this is probably linked with 1). Actually, in the test app this is generating an exception for me.

5) Popup commands that are disabled still consume keystrokes (if a submenu has a popup command as its first command link and that cmd link is disabled (eg 'test app | Bar Controls | Window'), you can no longer navigate to the next submenu ('help') using the right arrow key

6) In 'test app | bar controls' open the 'views' popup by mouse and select 'renderer', then press the right arrow key - you would expect the popup submenu to open but instead the 'File' menu does

7) Quick keys still appear to be active when a command is not visible (ie if 2 commands on a popup command share the same quick key however one (the first) is hidden, it still take 2 presses of the quick-key to select the second command that shares the quick-key

8) Tooltips don't seem to display for toolbar buttons when the focused window is in floating state (commands still highlight correctly, however no tooltips)

[Modified at 12/03/2007 01:36 AM]

Comments (12)

Posted 16 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Thanks, we'll look into these items soon and will get back to you.

Actipro Software Support

Much appreciated. Also, we just noticed another one:

9) By default popup buttons have tooltips disabled (which means by default popup buttons in toolbar don't show any tooltips) so we have enabled it for all of ours. This causes the main menu bar to also show tooltups (ie for 'File', 'Edit', etc) which I think is largely fine, however while tooltips are closed/hidden after clicking on a popup button, they show again if the mouse is then brought over the the next popup button (eg click-on 'File', then move to 'Edit' - the popup for edit will show, as well as it's tooltip) obscuring the drop down menu - probably shouldn't show tooltips for popup button if the popup is opened.

[Modified at 12/05/2007 09:36 PM]
Posted 16 years ago by C.S.
Any updates on these?
Yes, #5, #7, #9 are fixed for the next maintenance release.

#8 is a bug in Windows Forms I believe since I think we have duped this in the past without even using our controls. There may be other postings in this forum on that one. What happens is that the tooltips are displayed but behind the window.

#1-4 and 6 still need to be looked at.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Kasper
I was about to report the same issue as item #1, when I saw this thread. Any updates on when this will be fixed?
#1, #3 and #4 are fixed for the next maintenance release as well. We'll try and get it out soon.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 16 years ago by Kasper
Great! :)
Posted 16 years ago by C.S.
Good to hear! Appreciate the updates :)
Have played around briefly with 2.0.0097 and it is much better now :). Just a couple things noticed so far:

#5 Still seems to be an issue - ie if currently in MainMenu|File and have some disabled popup command link in the File dropdown selected, pressing the right arrow key will not select/open MainMenu|Edit.

10) I seem to be experiencing some issues with the run-time selected command text customisation...try editing the text of a command with a quick-key at run time by changing the ampersand to different positions, or assigning a quick-key to a middle character of a command without one. It is a bit intermittent but basically the text field seems to be missing/ignoring keystrokes in some instaces.
Thanks, it appears that we fixed something else related to #5 before but it is now fixed for the next maintenance release.

#10 - Could you provide a detailed list of steps to repro this in the sample? I'm not seeing it happen. Thanks!

Actipro Software Support

Unfortunately I can't find a 100% reliable way to reproduce this - not sure what is triggering it, but try doing the following a few times with the bar controls test app - hopefully it will trigger it at least once:

1) Open the Bar control test app
2) Right-click and choose custome on main menu
3) click on the Edit popup menu command link on the main menu and select 'Select All'
4) navigate to the commands tab in the customize dialog and click modify selection
5) click on the name text box to give it focus, then highlight the ampersand with the mouse and delete with the delete key (when the bug occurs, the text box stops responding to keyboard input - in which case will not delete)
6) If it works, try undoing the delete with ctrl-z and reselecting the ampersand and deleting again a few times, or close and reopen bar controls sample and repeat.

Actually, while writing and testing the above I think I figured it out:

repeat steps 1-4

5) Give focus to the text box as with other 5, but move the mouse cursor out of the text box onto another command. Now press delete and it won't work because it seems keyboard focus reverts back to the menu after mouseover of a different menuitem (even though the textbox still looks like it has focus). What's more, even if you mouse over the text box again or even click on it, it will no longer receive focus properly and receive key events - it's as though the menu permanantly has focus.

I even pressed some sequence of keys one time while the text box had lost focus that caused some exception to occur, but I haven't been able to repeat it.
Thanks, I believe this bug is now fixed for the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.