TextSnapshotRange swaps StartOffset/EndOffset?

SyntaxEditor for WPF Forum

Posted 15 years ago by Daniel Navarro
Version: 9.1.0502
Platform: .NET 3.5
Environment: Windows XP (64-bit)
I'm keeping a list TextSnapshotRange (compilation errors in an DSL), but I want the caret to end up sometimes at the beginning, and sometimes at the end of the range when its selected.

The thing is when I create a new TextSnapshotRange from the TextRange (to keep track of versions) the order of StartOffset/EndOffset are always sorted! (it doesn't keep the original direction of the range).

Let me explain this with an example:

// r1 and r2 are two similar ranges, but in different direction

TextRange r1 = new TextRange(start, end);
TextRange r2 = new TextRange(end, start);

// r1 != r2, but when I convert them to a TextSnapshotRange ...

TextSnapshotRange sr1 = new TextSnapshotRange(Snapshot, r1);
TextSnapshotRange sr2 = new TextSnapshotRange(Snapshot, r2);

// then sr1 == sr2 (it doesn't keep the direction of the selection range)

And I can't find a workaround because all TextSnapshotRange properties are read only, so I can't swap the StartOffset and the EndOffset myself when the direction of the range was backwards.

Thanks.

Please let me know if I didn't explain myself clearly :)

[Modified at 07/22/2009 03:13 PM]

Comments (2)

Posted 15 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Daniel,

That is correct and is by design. Note the summary comment on TextSnapshotRange indicates it is normalized (start before end):
"Represents a zero-based range of two normalized offset values within a certain ITextSnapshot."

If you have the requirements you indicated, I would recommend you perhaps make another struct that takes a TextSnapshotRange and a boolean that would indicate if the range should be inverted or not. Then store that struct instead.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 15 years ago by Daniel Navarro
Ok, I missed that bit. Will do.

Thanks for your response.
The latest build of this product (v24.1.2) was released 12 days ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.