A Powerful Free Editor App
Code Writer is a free text and code editor app for the Windows platform, downloadable from the Windows Store.
Use it as a replacement for Notepad and other quick edit apps.
We've built it from the ground up to be fast, fluid, and powerful.
Active syntax highlighting updates as you edit files, with over 20 file types supported.
Color is used pervasively throughout the app to create a bond between you and various file types.
Multiple documents may be opened at a time and easily switched between.
Browse to open any accessible document, or reopen recently-opened documents with a couple taps.
Explorer Side Bar
The normal appearance of the editor, with the Explorer side bar displayed
Add Documents Easily
Create new or open existing documents from any accessible source
A command palette provides quick access to nearly all commands, recent documents, go to line, etc.
The side bar collapsed, allowing you to focus on your content without distraction
The Search side bar allows for find/replace functionality
The Editing popup gives quick access to the most common editing commands. Obsidian theme shown.
- Some file types support advanced editing features like code outlining, syntax errors, text formatting, quick info, color previews, auto-case correct, etc.
- Create new documents, browse to open any accessible document, and easily reopen recent documents
- New-chromeless UI editing surface when the side bar is collapsed
- Command palette that provides access to most commands, recent documents, go to line, and more
- Open documents are persisted between app sessions
- Modified documents are flagged
- Search side bar with find/replace capabilities
- Document print support with numerous options
- Touch-based selection support, and a plethora of keyboard shortcuts
- Live tile that displays the names and save state of open documents
- Supports sharing of document or selected text with other apps via the Share charm
- Detailed documentation that describes all app functionality
- File associations allow the app to be used as a default editor for various file types
- Options for theme, font family/size, line numbers, word wrap, current line highlight, delimiter highlighting and auto-completion, web color previews, indentation guides, whitespace characters, tabs/spaces, line ends, etc.
- Options to add custom file extensions for file types, and disable file types you don't work with
- Run the app and open files using the codewriter:// protocol
The app requires Windows 10 Fall Creators Update or later, and is fully supported on ARM, x86, and x64 devices.
Connect with Actipro
Code Editing in Your Own Apps
Like what you see from us?
Actipro is best known for our syntax-highlighting code editor control named
that can be used to add rich code editing features in your own apps.
SyntaxEditor is currently available for the Universal Windows, WPF, Silverlight, and WinForms platforms.
Use the Universal Windows version to build a code/text editing app just like Code Writer!
We also offer a comprehensive set of other user interface controls for use in the various Microsoft UI platforms, everything from docking windows and MDI to property grids and charts.
Please download a free evaluation of our products to discover more.