Questions before purchase

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Greg Ellwood
Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Syntax Editor 3.0 in view of purchasing a single developer license. So far I've been very impressed with the component but have a few questions.

1-If I only purchase a license and not the annual subscription what kind of support and upgrades are included? I presume the license includes unlimited bug fixes and minor revisions but that major revisions would incur an upgrade cost?

2-Can the annual subscription be purchased at a later date that the purchase of the license?

3-Performance on the editor is excellent with small files but once files start to get close to 1Mb things start to slow down and with very large files performance seems to really drop. What work are you doing to improve the performance and how far off might updates for this be?

4-A simple app with a single editor (or even the test apps provided) seem to be extremely resource hungry, especially on the memory. For example I was working with a 1Mb file and memory usage was almost 80Mb! and even a blank editor was over 10Mb. This seems very excessive, is it normal? If so, are you working on improvements for this?

Thanks in advance,
-Greg.

Comments (4)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Greg,

Thanks for evaluating SyntaxEditor.

1) You still get normal support and maintenance releases for the version you own are free. So if you purchase 3.0, then any 3.0.x version is free. 3.1 would not be free unless you own an annual subscription.

2) You can purchase it later however then you will also need to purchase an upgrade, so it's generally cheaper in the long run to get it when you first purchase.

3) In the future we are going to be looking at handling large files better, since that has been a requested item. With the next major version, we hope to be doing a lot of work with parsing so ideally we could look into it there.

4) The .NET environment uses a lot of memory for any app. So those sort of numbers are almost expected even when not using our controls. Our memory for open files is storing document line data, display line data, character data, token data, and outlining data for each document. We are always looking for ways to optimize those and are open to suggestions at any time.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Greg Ellwood
Thanks for your swift reply.

Are you able to give any indication of when you expect the next 'major version' to be? Obviously this would influence my decision on if I should take the annual support now or later.

Thanks,
-Greg.
Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Well we have started on some ideas for it, but are currently focused on getting menus/toolbars added to UIStudio before we realign efforts on major SyntaxEditor changes again. We hope to get a UIStudio 2.0 beta in the next couple months.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
As a current SyntaxEditor license holder, I have to say that the both the product and the annual subscription are well worth it. I continue to be amazed at the power and flexibility of the control, and the support from Actipro is top-notch in both areas of issue resolution and new feature inclusion (which is not the case with many software vendors).
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.