Setting up the license for the syntax editor

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 20 years ago by cliftonm2 - Rhode Island
Hi,

I just purchased a single seat developer license for the Syntax Editor (great product!) and I want to make sure I'm doing to the right thing when I package up my application.

I read this on another of the forums here:

"In our newer controls (starting with SyntaxEditor) we have implemented a registry-based licensing mechanism which will prevent you from having to do anything like this with LIC files."

So, I'm assuming (I couldn't find ANY information on how to do this), that I just add the ActiPro Software registry entries for Licensee and LicenseKey to my customer's registry as part of my product's installation procedure?

This doesn't quite seem right, as this is my developer license information. Is there something I should be doing differently?

If not, what happens if the customer already a version of the syntax editor installed from, say, a different product? Do I overwrite the Licensee/LicenseKey files?

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion, but like I said, nowhere could I find information on how to actually distribute the redistributable assemblies so that the "invalid license key" screen doesn't come up.

Marc

Comments (2)

Posted 20 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Marc,

In the Customer Relations area, there is a link to a Licensing FAQ page. It tells you almost everything about how to do the licensing for our controls. It has one view for LIC file licensing and one view for registry licensing like in SyntaxEditor.

You can read that for detailed information on how to use your license.

For SyntaxEditor, you pretty much just run the install, input your Licensee and License Key exactly as specified in the license email you send yourself from Customer Relations and you're good to go.

When you compile your application with the full release of a licensed control, the licensing information gets built into the assembly context. So when you deploy, the license info will be in your assembly. You never need to do anything licensewise on a client computer. You just distribute our assemblies with yours.

Also, if you have some free time, check out the 2.0 pre-release we just put out for SyntaxEditor.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 20 years ago by cliftonm2 - Rhode Island
Hi,

Thanks, somehow I totally missed the license FAQ! Anyways, I got it working with the licx file the correct way, and everything is testing out great.

Thank you for the quick response, and on Easter weekend too!

Marc
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.