SyntaxEditor doesn't work within a COM library?

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by Jeff Brown
I'm having a problem with SyntaxEditor that will be a show-stopper if it can't be resolved.

I drop a SyntaxEditor control onto a Form, make no changes to its properties, and run my application. Everything is fine.

Now, I do the same thing with a Form that's launched from within a COM library -- i.e., a .NET class library that has a COM interface.

When I invoke that library from a COM client application, I find that any non-printable keystrokes -- e.g., backspace and arrow keys -- are completely unresponsive within the SyntaxEditor control.

I've used many native and third-party .NET controls, and SyntaxEditor is the only one I've encountered that demonstrates this symptom.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

Versions & technical info:

Visual Studio .NET 2003 7.1.3088
.NET Framework 1.1.4322 SP1
SyntaxEditor 2.5.0160
.NET COM library written in C#
COM test client application written in VB 6

Comments (2)

Posted 19 years ago by Jeff Brown
Okay, I've solved my own problem. You may be interested in what I did, in case this impacts future implementations of SyntaxEditor.

I compared trace dumps of the event methods that were called in both the "pure .NET" and the COM versions of my application.

I noticed that one difference was that the "pure .NET" version called SyntaxEditor.PreProcessMessage (which the COM version didn't), and the COM version called SyntaxEditor.ProcessKeyEventArgs (which the "pure .NET" version didn't).

So, I created a derivation of SyntaxEditor, and overloaded ProcessEventArgs as follows:
protected override bool ProcessKeyEventArgs(ref Message m)
{
    bool result = base.PreProcessMessage(ref m);
    if (!result)
        result = base.ProcessKeyEventArgs(ref m);
    return result;
}
And, now it works fine in both environments!

There are still a few weird problems I need to work out, but this was the show stopper.

[Modified at 08/30/2005 10:37 AM]
Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Great Jeff... thanks for posting the info for others!

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 3 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.