Double byte character support in the Editor control?

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 19 years ago by JonSchwartz
Does the control support extended characters for non-english languages/keyboards? Our specific customer case is a german user who is reporting that he cannot use certain german characters.

Thanks in advance,

Jon Schwartz
Morrison Schwartz
www.ms-inc.net

Comments (8)

Posted 19 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Yes, SyntaxEditor does support non-english languages. It is IME capable and supports double-byte characters. Just make sure SyntaxEditor.UnicodeEnabled is set to true if you want to support those types of extended characters.

Actipro Software Support

User sent me a screenshot and it looks like the problem is not with the Editor control - but if someone could give me a quick confirmation that non-english characters are supported fine that'd be much appreciated.
Thanks! We love the control, btw. Cool stuff! Want to check out our fun implementation around it? http://www.ms-inc.net/kpl.aspx. KPL for Kid's Programming Language. :)
If you look at the Unicode Support topic in the documentation that has a screenshot of Chinese characters in SyntaxEditor with UnicodeEnabled.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
Out of curiosity, why would you not want to enable Unicode support? Is there any benefit to leaving Unicode disabled or potential issues with enabled Unicode? Thanks!
Yes due to the way Microsoft implemented GDI+ text drawing, it's impossible to accurately paint runs of text. Things get squooshed together if you try. This is a well documented issue. Therefore, for variable width fonts and for Unicode fonts, we have to render text character by character. So there is a slight performance hit since painting isn't quite as optimized in that case.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 19 years ago by Boyd - Sr. Software Developer, Patterson Consulting, LLC
Thanks for the clarification, and I hate that GDI+ issue. Do you happen to know if this issue has been resolved for .NET 2.0 or is it even part of the .NET package?
I still have to see if there is a workaround in 2.0, however I think I saw that some of their controls like Labels have some new property that says use GDI-like drawing or something like that.

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 3 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.