How to design MDI Forms - DocumentWindow precludes this?

Docking/MDI for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Mike Griffin - MyGeneration Software
We need to use the designer to layout of MDI Forms but once I change the inheritance of our forms from "Form" to "DocumentWindow" I can no longer work with them effectively in Design mode. Please tell me this can be done without having to do it all in code.

Comments (5)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Mike,

That isn't available in the current version since TabbedMdiWindow doesn't inherit from UserControl.

However it is a wonderful idea! I just did some research on how to make it happen and was able to harness the designer code to do it, similar to how UserControl works. This feature will be in the next maintenance release.

Actipro Software Support

So you mean to tell me that folks are handing coding in the design of their MDI forms right now? I can't believe that is how folks are using it? What if we don't use the TabbedMdiWindow and use a different style then can we?
I can live with it for now. This stuff is way cool. Still, if you get design time mode back for MDI forms it would be truly awesome.
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Yes, everyone is programmatically building the document windows now. Normal Forms can be designed but then you miss out on all the neat document handling features of UIStudio. The new feature we made for you will give you the best of both worlds. Perhaps if you write us an email, we can throw together a pre-release of the maintenance release so that you can try it out.

Actipro Software Support

Sure, whenever you're ready send an email to mike.griffin@mygenerationsoftware.com, don't worry, my email id is already public on our site. By the way, great product. You don't have a UIStudio sample acting as Visual Studio plug-in do you?

[Modified at 10/08/2005 05:13 PM]
The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.