Support large text files (more than 10MB)

SyntaxEditor for Windows Forms Forum

Posted 18 years ago by Eli Gazit - CEO, Softwear Suit Ltd
Hello.
Our company needs many features from the syntax-editor control, but we need to use it with very large log files (10MB-20MB) and the performance is really poor with this files.

Is their a way to override the Syntax-Editor control to use some sort of buffer to hold all data and send to the GUI only the displaying rows, or some other solution, so we can benefits from all other features of this control?

Regards

Itizk

Comments (3)

Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Hi Itzik,

That is something we are going to be working on for the next version when we are designing an improved parsing model. If you would like to post all the details of features you'd like and features you don't need for large files, please do so.

Actipro Software Support

Posted 18 years ago by Ashton - Developer, Schema Solutions LLC
I think I have asked for large file support in the past as well.

For me, I am basically wanting 2 things that currently aren't offered by any control I can find out there:

1. Ability to have any length line. The TextBox control that comes with .NET will wrap lines that go over a certain length (I think it's related to pixel width since it seems to wrap at different points based on font).

2. Ability to not eat all my memory.

Basically, if SE could support large files without token or parsing support (ie. just show the text from the file without eating all my mem) I would be happy.

However, maybe a switch could be added that would only parse the current screen so that you would only parse/format/color/etc text that is currently on screen (and maybe previous/next screens worth for scrolling). You wouldn't be able to do tokens in this case (or maybe for very large files, tokens would be generated on request instead of at load).

I realize there are major issues with very large files and memory/processor probs and why anyone would want to load a 10MB script and need the advanced parsing/coloring that SE provides is beyond me, but I have users that seem to think they have to see 50MB worth of text :)

Thanks,
Posted 18 years ago by Actipro Software Support - Cleveland, OH, USA
Yes if we could come up with a way to skip any sort of parsing, that would be ideal. Then we'd just have to know the text, how many lines there are, etc. As long as you kept word wrap off, that would make display line calculation relatively fast.

We'll have to also cut down (via an option) on the features available for DocumentLine and DisplayLine to conserve on memory.

As for the line limitations, I believe we currently allow up to int.MaxValue pixels of horizontal text before we wrap. Does that work for you?

Actipro Software Support

The latest build of this product (v24.1.0) was released 2 months ago, which was after the last post in this thread.

Add Comment

Please log in to a validated account to post comments.